Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cargo Pod While On Floats

6 posts in this topic

Posted

On the Alaska Outdoors forum on bush flying, I ran across a response from akflyer, mentioning he was going to build a cargo pod for his Avid Flyer. I thought that maybe a cargo carrier for cars might work, mounted on the spreader bars of the floats. They are fairly aerodynamic, weatherproof and come in different sizes. I'm not sure what the weight penalty would be, but it would be simple. Of course it would only work while the floats are mounted. Some brackets for mounting might have to be fabbed up if a person was against strapping it down. I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this, if it's feasible or not. I like simple things, and at first glance this seems reasonably simple (or maybe I'm simple :lmao: ).

-Nate

Posted

On the Alaska Outdoors forum on bush flying, I ran across a response from akflyer, mentioning he was going to build a cargo pod for his Avid Flyer. I thought that maybe a cargo carrier for cars might work, mounted on the spreader bars of the floats. They are fairly aerodynamic, weatherproof and come in different sizes. I'm not sure what the weight penalty would be, but it would be simple. Of course it would only work while the floats are mounted. Some brackets for mounting might have to be fabbed up if a person was against strapping it down. I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this, if it's feasible or not. I like simple things, and at first glance this seems reasonably simple (or maybe I'm simple :lmao: ).

-Nate

sounds like an idea that is really worth checking into! Will save me alot of time laying up a glass one!

:BC:

Posted

I guess there are a few things to consider, such as CG, distance between spreader bars, mounting, etc. But it might work. You see those Yakima or Thule cargo carriers all the time, mostly on Subarus.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible on a certified aircraft (oh yeah, starts with an F and ends with an AA). But seriously, I don't see why an external load approval wouldn't cover this. Now I just wish I had floats. And a plane to go with it!

-Nate

Posted

I guess there are a few things to consider, such as CG, distance between spreader bars, mounting, etc. But it might work. You see those Yakima or Thule cargo carriers all the time, mostly on Subarus.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible on a certified aircraft (oh yeah, starts with an F and ends with an AA). But seriously, I don't see why an external load approval wouldn't cover this. Now I just wish I had floats. And a plane to go with it!

-Nate

Did you sell your plane? hell, you have a float plane :lol: have you got her ready for flight yet? I did not even get out to look at my plane this time home. It was a whirl wind of divorce crap and bad weather so no flying for me.

Posted

Did you sell your plane? hell, you have a float plane :lol: have you got her ready for flight yet? I did not even get out to look at my plane this time home. It was a whirl wind of divorce crap and bad weather so no flying for me.

No, but I've got a few people interested. I'm still sitting on skis, so once I get swapped to wheels I'll take some prospective buyers up. As for the Searey, I think a cargo pod strapped to the bottom would affect the water handling, if just a bit :lmao: . Bummer on your other news. You think that cowl is going to work alright?

Posted

The searey wou;d not do so well with a cargo pod on the bottom :lol:

The cowl should do just fine for me! Thanks