SOMEONE HAD A VERY GOOD DAY!

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My old flying buddy got his Wright Brothers Master Pilots Award last weekend.  So sorry that I was not able to go see him get it. 

Just thought about how he got to his checkride for Private License by riding a bicycle to the airport because he wasn't 16 to get a driver's license for 2 more weeks.  The Wright Brothers were bicycle builders too!  Ironic!   ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

Was it Mr. Basler?

Posted (edited)

Was it Mr. Basler?

Allan Koebel of High Ridge, Missouri.   I think he was 81 last month, and private pilot MEL, mostly antique planes, for 65 years.   No telling how many different planes he had rebuilt and flown, or how many accident / incident free hours he has flown.  He never got a mechanic ticket, but he is a better pilot and mechanic than I am.  He taught me in several types of planes as PIC until I was insurable in them.   He was in Berlin with me in 1961 when the wall was closed, and also in Wintersheild military exercises in Germany which was also shown in some films or movie.   I didn't meet him until 1965 when he was day shift at Chrysler and I worked evenings - He got my attention when he was trying to learn how to fly an AT-6 before he went to Florida to buy one from the Government - That's another interesting story!  After he bought it, I could hear him doing touch & goes in the evenings in his loud AT-6 at the airport across the road from Chrysler plant.  He has been a constant friend ever since.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

I hope I'm flying at 81.  You too Ed. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I hope I'm flying at 81.  You too Ed. 

One of the most impressive "Flying Men" was a 93 or 95-year-old guy who flew his originally bought 1927 or 29 Stearman into one of the grass strips Breakfasts a few years ago.  He was a big guy named Charley - Most everyone there seemed to know him except me.  Everyone started saying, "Here comes Charley" when the Stearman was spotted in the distance.  He brought his 75-year-old girlfriend with him and she sat in the plane while he propped it before leaving!   I wont be here that long!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO