Stolspeed.com VG install

6 posts in this topic

Posted

While waiting for engine parts I decided to install some VGs that I bought 6 months ago from stolspeed.com

I purchased the 120 and 80 piece kits for about $160.  I installed my VGs at 3.25” from the front of the leading edge of the wing and then 4” in front of the elevator gap on the under side of the horizontal stab.

I followed the directions on the wing as a starting point, but might experiment with spacing and location later.

They only part I didn’t enjoy was sticking each VG to the sheet of 3M double sided tape before painting...it took about 4 hours.  Installation was a breeze...I used a string to mark 3.25” back and that is where the noses of my  VGs were placed.  I used a tape line on the horizontal stab.

I followed the directions on the spacing of the VGs and did 15 at 60mm starting at the wingtip, then 90mm to the wing root.  I also used the 30mm spacing for the horizontal stab.

I’ll post numbers when I get back in the air.

Ron

B5CBF4DB-5741-48F6-A711-573B924483E8.jpeg

FEE58CF4-7A95-4DE7-8524-617ECAB69220.jpeg

DE8A43D2-EFCB-41F9-9F01-07E453BFF837.jpeg

03ADA504-F67D-49CF-BF77-AF0A44910E12.jpeg

069F5157-5EC0-4A50-9AB3-53A02FAE017C.jpeg

0E7054DC-2CEA-420B-8DF0-312C39B0D78F.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I've got the same new sets of those - 200 pieces total.  $100 shipped if anyone wants them.   Good reports about them.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed,

I will take them!

Barry

Posted

Need a aerodynamics expert here, but I was thinking about putting some of these on the underside of the fuse... right across slightly fwd of where the lift strut attaches and the fuse makes the bend up to the tail.

Speed mod,  keeping airflow from separating as much around that bend.

Nutty idea?

I'm thinking it might be good for about 0.25 mph. LOL 

1 person likes this

Posted

Ed,

I will take them!

Barry

Barry,  You will get them - Sending you a PM.  EdMO

Posted (edited)

Yamma-Fox,

It sounds like a good idea and with these VGs you can take them on and off pretty easy to try different locations.

I can’t help in the speed department...I have 31” ABW speed brakes hanging in the breeze...maybe I should put VGs on them?:lmao:

Ron

Edited by RDavidson
3 people like this