Remote Muffler mount

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I took the complete exhaust system off my 582 to clean it up and after looking at the stock muffler mount figure it could be set up better. I’ve also heard the engine to muffler brackets are prone to cracking. 

I know I’ve heard people talk about mounting the muffler to the firewall instead of the engine. Has anyone done this and care to share there mounting system?

Posted (edited)

Someone has - Jim Chuk?  Joey?  Been waiting for someone to post answer - I think they posted photos some time back?  Maybe holiday celebrations today?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Here  is what I did when I built a heat shroud for the muffler for cabin heat.  Heat worked real good also.  Don't look to hard at the crappy welding in the one picture.  Brackets on the firewall were aluminum angel, rubber belting for the hangers, and plates welded on the ends of the muffler (poorly, but worked)  JImChuk

firewall muffler mt + heat muff 016 (Large).jpg

firewall muffler mt + heat muff 018 (Large).jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Firewall mount retro kit.. looks like a good thing to add to the inventory!  Would be easy to make a bolt on kit with nice water jet cut parts. 

I will add this to the list!

:BC:

Posted

Going over some mounting options. 

9D61D59D-61F6-41E5-8EE9-25777DBCAEC5.jpeg

6D855119-2F15-4439-8805-9A54C77791FE.jpeg

DC454F3D-0181-47FD-BA17-69E86D5D04AB.jpeg

Posted

Found these rubber bushings in my array of Airplane crap. A simple firewall mounted L bracket and it looks doable 

Posted

I could make a set of mounts like these out of aluminum angle. If I made my own I could set the depth to whatever worked. 

27FBA613-25C3-4D33-AAC7-7C589C4AE24B.png

Posted

Wow $119 for one of those that's insane. I like your idea of making a couple cost you about 2 bucks

Posted

I know right! We have a great metal store here that sells left over peices and ends from larger stock. I can get the metal for cheap. Not a lot of work to make that mount. I’m kicking around a few ideas. Joey has his mounted with these same rubber isolators. He said they are mounted horizontal right into the firewall. That would eliminate the bracket. 

Posted (edited)

I know right! We have a great metal store here that sells left over peices and ends from larger stock. I can get the metal for cheap. Not a lot of work to make that mount. I’m kicking around a few ideas. Joey has his mounted with these same rubber isolators. He said they are mounted horizontal right into the firewall. That would eliminate the bracket. 

I would think that vibration-movement of muffler would be more up-down strain?  Guess whatever works?  OMG $119 for a 25-cent piece of aluminum angle and two bolts! - Not even Gold Plated?  Holy Ripoff Batman!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I think my mounts cost exactly nothing.  Just some scrap aluminum angel, steel, and rubber belting I had laying around.  Maybe I should have hired out the welding, but that held up anyway.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Joey has his mounted the same way and it works. I still might have to space mine out some as the main pipe angle where it connects to the elbow is greater than I’d like to see. I’ll install all the springs and play with it some more tomorrow. 

D0FE0A2D-3231-419F-A4F0-14389E4B092F.jpeg

7A7EE8B9-1C14-4B1A-811B-15A000C0611C.jpeg

Posted

isn't that why they make washers?  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

If I can get the pipe angle I want with washers I will use them for sure. If not I’ll make a spacer out of square tubing.

Posted

On thing I liked about the way I did mine is it opened up most of the muffler surface for a cabin heat muffler shroud.  No big deal though if you are going with hot water heat.  JImChuk

1 person likes this