Remote Muffler mount

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Although I would have used steel tubing for the brackets, I hope you make new ones with the tops cut at an angle - they will be lots stronger and less prone to cracking.  Your call though.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I'd vote for steel as well (4130), but this is experimental aviation, so it's definitely your call. 

Posted

Maybe something like this?

EB0A34B0-0D5E-477B-9CA9-00E9A36C00E6.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

I have been fallowing your progress since you got this plane, you have made great progress and its looking good.   I see you got the new hoses installed, did you keep all the hose information, size and length?  As far as the muffler mounting brackets. They also look great.  Regards Joe

Posted (edited)

Not exact what I had in mind - You still have a potential crack point at two places now - IMO, the sides should extend from one end of the bracket to the other - past the bolts.  But you couldn't do that on the uppen end because of the bend without welding.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I have been fallowing your progress since you got this plane, you have made great progress and its looking good.   I see you got the new hoses installed, did you keep all the hose information, size and length?  As far as the muffler mounting brackets. They also look great.  Regards Joe

Thank you Joe. Yes I got the new hoses installed. I bought some off the internet from a place called Pegasus and some from a local place called House of Hose. The Pegasus hose was hard as hell and really hard to install. The other hose was much better to work with and a lot better priced. I have attached a picture. The shiny hose is the hard stuff and the dull hose with the red core is the local stuff. The hose is 7/8 or 22mm. I can get you lengths if you need them 

DEF86356-159F-4B67-BAEB-B8CFC097A303.jpeg

BF2A7291-E9C6-491C-B608-AC42D9830B04.jpeg

AC91313A-EECB-49A3-AAA4-98ABF6F06043.jpeg

Posted

Not exact what I had in mind - You still have a potential crack point at two places now - IMO, the sides should extend from one end of the bracket to the other - past the bolts.  But you couldn't do that on the uppen end because of the bend without welding.  EDMO

I don’t have the ability to weld aluminum and IMO 4130 is overkill for this application. Two planes I looked at had the same rubber grommet I used inserted directly into the firewall, big washer on the inside with no stand off. I didn’t like the angle of the pipe connection so I added the stand off brackets to change the angle a bit. I will fly this and keep an eye on it. I don’t foresee a problem but hell.....I’ve been wrong before.  This is the true essence of Experimental. 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

A couple more pictures. 

EF877765-EEA5-4369-857D-42D96F2553B2.jpeg

FF084E2C-1E6A-4D24-A57C-55F8111C5E69.jpeg

Edited by NorthIdahoAvidflyer
Posted wrong picture
1 person likes this