Remote Muffler mount

33 posts in this topic

Posted

I took the complete exhaust system off my 582 to clean it up and after looking at the stock muffler mount figure it could be set up better. I’ve also heard the engine to muffler brackets are prone to cracking. 

I know I’ve heard people talk about mounting the muffler to the firewall instead of the engine. Has anyone done this and care to share there mounting system?

Posted (edited)

Someone has - Jim Chuk?  Joey?  Been waiting for someone to post answer - I think they posted photos some time back?  Maybe holiday celebrations today?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Here  is what I did when I built a heat shroud for the muffler for cabin heat.  Heat worked real good also.  Don't look to hard at the crappy welding in the one picture.  Brackets on the firewall were aluminum angel, rubber belting for the hangers, and plates welded on the ends of the muffler (poorly, but worked)  JImChuk

firewall muffler mt + heat muff 016 (Large).jpg

firewall muffler mt + heat muff 018 (Large).jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Firewall mount retro kit.. looks like a good thing to add to the inventory!  Would be easy to make a bolt on kit with nice water jet cut parts. 

I will add this to the list!

:BC:

Posted

Going over some mounting options. 

9D61D59D-61F6-41E5-8EE9-25777DBCAEC5.jpeg

6D855119-2F15-4439-8805-9A54C77791FE.jpeg

DC454F3D-0181-47FD-BA17-69E86D5D04AB.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Found these rubber bushings in my array of Airplane crap. A simple firewall mounted L bracket and it looks doable 

Posted

I could make a set of mounts like these out of aluminum angle. If I made my own I could set the depth to whatever worked. 

27FBA613-25C3-4D33-AAC7-7C589C4AE24B.png

Posted

Wow $119 for one of those that's insane. I like your idea of making a couple cost you about 2 bucks

Posted

I know right! We have a great metal store here that sells left over peices and ends from larger stock. I can get the metal for cheap. Not a lot of work to make that mount. I’m kicking around a few ideas. Joey has his mounted with these same rubber isolators. He said they are mounted horizontal right into the firewall. That would eliminate the bracket. 

Posted (edited)

I know right! We have a great metal store here that sells left over peices and ends from larger stock. I can get the metal for cheap. Not a lot of work to make that mount. I’m kicking around a few ideas. Joey has his mounted with these same rubber isolators. He said they are mounted horizontal right into the firewall. That would eliminate the bracket. 

I would think that vibration-movement of muffler would be more up-down strain?  Guess whatever works?  OMG $119 for a 25-cent piece of aluminum angle and two bolts! - Not even Gold Plated?  Holy Ripoff Batman!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I think my mounts cost exactly nothing.  Just some scrap aluminum angel, steel, and rubber belting I had laying around.  Maybe I should have hired out the welding, but that held up anyway.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Joey has his mounted the same way and it works. I still might have to space mine out some as the main pipe angle where it connects to the elbow is greater than I’d like to see. I’ll install all the springs and play with it some more tomorrow. 

D0FE0A2D-3231-419F-A4F0-14389E4B092F.jpeg

7A7EE8B9-1C14-4B1A-811B-15A000C0611C.jpeg

Posted

isn't that why they make washers?  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

If I can get the pipe angle I want with washers I will use them for sure. If not I’ll make a spacer out of square tubing.

Posted

On thing I liked about the way I did mine is it opened up most of the muffler surface for a cabin heat muffler shroud.  No big deal though if you are going with hot water heat.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Got some work done on the exhaust mounts. I have to remake the passenger side mount to get the angle I wanted. I may rivet a strap to the top to support the bracket. I’ll see how it looks when I get it all installed. I painted the manifold and  90 last night. They will go into the oven this morning to cure. The wife is not happy. 

:rolleyes:

84202479-676A-4C2C-AF16-711C1958FB1B.jpeg

02C1EB12-6D68-4271-9A25-25873B911E63.jpeg

420CC04C-AF6F-4AB9-AD67-710B7D5D6741.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

FD1E6BEF-E448-4119-9134-0585C72D120A.jpeg

F7BAB22A-3273-4BA8-BE35-9E6F4B237D5C.jpeg

6636428E-F291-4B78-AF16-C4AB322FF061.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

6186A2AC-5A35-4100-BC45-2B0A980C4FAF.jpeg

55C7899C-D699-49D5-9EBA-97FE2B5A1054.jpeg

888672CC-1208-49BA-A997-950275C23F80.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Clean install, I like it.  Gonna have to do something like that next time I have the plane in the shop.  Love having the forum to share / bounce ideas around.  Some of us over think the hell outta some things.

1 person likes this

Posted

I went to my local metal recycler and found some 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 square 6061 extruded tubing. I made two blocks firsts but after I set it all into place and leveled the can I found that the mount point for the passenger side was right on the crease on the firewall. I had to remake the mount adding a lower mounting point, The project cost me $1.50.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

The only thing I would worry about is the sharp notch on the flat.  Maybe bring that in at a 45 or something to lessen the chances of it cracking.  That's a pretty good bit of weight and vibration hanging on that one. 

Edited by akflyer

Posted

Where the flat meets the square on the bottom edges I corner drilled each side to make a radius to keep it from cracking. Its hard to see in the picture. I probably could have made that radius a little larger or 45'd it as you suggested. 

You bring up a good idea on creating a 45 or angled edge to the square mount area. If I where to make this over again I would make it with a flat on each side. It flexes the firewall just a little bit and a flat on each side would give it a lot more rigidity and distribute the load better. Maybe I will have to get another piece and make another one. It would only take me about 30 minutes to fab up another one. 

2 people like this

Posted

The only thing I would worry about is the sharp notch on the flat.  Maybe bring that in at a 45 or something to lessen the chances of it cracking.  That's a pretty good bit of weight and vibration hanging on that one. 

I was thinking the same thing - (after-designing is easy) - cut the tops off at an angle leaving triangles on sides to strengthen - tighten bolts with socket and rachet.  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

i'm not very confident in your  mounting, you will lost muffler quickly, i suggest you put a lot of safety wires when you go testing it. 

it seems you underestimate the power of vibrations. your side bolted of a 90° angular "chewing gum" aloy piece is very risky in my eyes.

an other point is: original avid mount let muffler move with the engine to prevent cracks.

take it not a judgement but an advice, i'll post soon a pic of what i've done, may be i need advice too :)

manu

Posted

Efilo1, This is not a new mounting configuration and is already working on other Avids, I still see where i can improve on the mount itself. I added a stand off to bring the muffler pipe to a better angle at the manifold so the springs would all work to help with flex at the two joints. I safety wire the springs to make sure if they come apart it will hold the system together. I also use the better grade stainless steel springs.  The original Avid mount was prone to cracking and was a pain to get out of the way when removing the thermostat housing and exhaust manifold.

2 people like this