Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Belly pan

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I bought a partially completed Avid Mark IV and am in need of a belly pan.  It wasn't included in the sale.  Any idea where i might find one or at least the drawings so I can make one?

Thanks.

Posted

The Belly pan?  Do you mean the aluminum sheet that is on the forward part of the fuse from the firewall back to about the seat?

:BC:

Posted

I made one with some aluminum brake metal.  Like what is used when you bend metal up to cover exterior window and door trim.  JImChuk

Posted

Is there a drawing of it in the manual?  Just aluminum sheet metal cut to fit?  EDMO

Posted

The cowl i have seems to have triangle tabs on the side's where the cowl stops short and covering stops short. almost like the belly pan should cover this( ill try to find a picture )  
I Think The belly pan should cover this but Im not sure 

Posted (edited)

I don't believe the belly pan was shown in the manual.  More of a builder's "improvement".   I ran the fabric to the front of the fuselage. Then up the sides somewhat in front of the door as well.  If my memory is correct, the MK IV cowl was made to go under the door, and back about 4" on the sides.  I cut mine off right down in front of the door, but there was fabric behind the cowl at that point anyway.   My belly pan bends up on the sides maybe 3/4", just enough to get a couple of screws in the sides to help hold it in place.  It's main purpose is to protect the belly from exhaust and such, and it stops at the landing gear.  In this picture, you can see the fabric going in front of the door.  The cowl isn't fastened completely in place, also, you see I cut the cowl, and fiber glassed the back halves together, so it ends up being 3 pieces.  Also, you see some of the side of the belly pan.  JImChuk

Photo0611.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Fantastic this does help !! Looks like I will have to get a few small squares of fabric to cover what was supposed to be already covered and just fab a simple belly pan 

Ps On a side note 1avidflyer we need to talk about your choice of coffee LOL

Edited by Jacobwragsdale
more content
1 person likes this

Posted

I always get a kick out of what I see in peoples garages and hangars when looking at pictures of things they mean to show (like their airplane).   Here is another picture showing what I did for fabric.  JImChuk

Photo08091.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Fantastic this does help !! Looks like I will have to get a few small squares of fabric to cover what was supposed to be already covered and just fab a simple belly pan 

Ps On a side note 1avidflyer we need to talk about your choice of coffee LOL

Some of us in the Midwest don't need that mind-jarring Starbucks to wake up our brains - If that is what you refer to?  I'm with Jim.   I get my MAX cheaper at Costco, although they sell the Kirkland brand which is like Starbucks strong.   ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Sorry I have been wanting to post this for you for a while but just keep forgetting to pull out the belly pan and unwrap it to take a pic.  I just purchased a complete Mark IV kit and this is the belly pan that was in the kit.  Maybe you already made something but I wanted to make sure to get this out to you in case you have not. 

After unwrapping it seems it was beat up a little through my transfer/transport or during the last 26 years of storage who knows.  I included several photos for your review.  It is 33 1/4" wide x 24 5/8" long.  The 24 5/8" is the length with the bend in the front.  When flattening out the front edge (as much as possible without distorting) it measures 24 3/4".  The bend is 3/4" and I would guess it to be 45 deg.  I did not get the degree but if you really want it I can measure.

Wishing You The Very Best On Your Build!!!  I'm Looking Forward To Mine!

Randy from PA

Belly Pan 2.jpg

Belly Pan 3.jpg

Belly Pan 4.jpg

Belly Pan 5.jpg

Belly Pan 1.jpg

2 people like this