Transponders and Airworthiness inspections

22 posts in this topic

Posted

For those who have had their pink slips issued with a transponder installed new did you get it certd prior to the inspection? There’s no maintenance at my home base. I’m not too keen on paying someone to come out prior to the inspection. Can I just inop it until I can fly it somewhere to have it tested? I didn’t have a transponder in my other one for the process. This plane has a microair transponder. 

Posted

Sounds like you need to call your inspector - He gives the go-nogo final words.  EDMO

Posted

For those who have had their pink slips issued with a transponder installed new did you get it certd prior to the inspection? There’s no maintenance at my home base. I’m not too keen on paying someone to come out prior to the inspection. Can I just inop it until I can fly it somewhere to have it tested? I didn’t have a transponder in my other one for the process. This plane has a microair transponder. 

If there is an electrical system you are supposed to have a transponder.  You know how that goes though; you're not in trouble with the FAA until you're in trouble with the FAA.  

Posted (edited)

If there is an electrical system you are supposed to have a transponder.  You know how that goes though; you're not in trouble with the FAA until you're in trouble with the FAA.  

A transponder is not required with an electrical system - if you stay out of their controlled airspace.   Since you don't have a MEL (Minimum Equipment List) like factory planes, I think you could put an "INOP" sticker on it and be airworthy, but the inspector decides that.  If I was doing a condition inspection, I would put a note that "Transponder must be certified before flying into airspace that requires its use.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

A transponder is not required with an electrical system - if you stay out of their controlled airspace.   Since you don't have a MEL (Minimum Equipment List) like factory planes, I think you could put an "INOP" sticker on it and be airworthy, but the inspector decides that.  EDMO

Sounds right now that you say it.  Flying over the top of Class C requires a transponder with encoder I'm pretty sure.  I'm about to take a BFR so I better start sorting that stuff out methinks.  

Posted

A transponder is not required with an electrical system - if you stay out of their controlled airspace.   Since you don't have a MEL (Minimum Equipment List) like factory planes, I think you could put an "INOP" sticker on it and be airworthy, but the inspector decides that.  EDMO

Sounds right now that you say it.  Flying over the top of Class C requires a transponder with encoder I'm pretty sure.  I'm about to take a BFR so I better start sorting that stuff out methinks.  

Yes,  We all need to keep our Student Pilot Guide handy for those days!  ;<)  EDMO

Posted

Not required but this plane has a brand new set up. Ed I already planned on talking to him about it I just hate asking those guys questions without being a little educated on the subject first. 

Posted (edited)

Not required but this plane has a brand new set up. Ed I already planned on talking to him about it I just hate asking those guys questions without being a little educated on the subject first. 

Joey,  Since I am not an IA, FSDO, or DAR, I have never done an initial Airworthiness Inspection - My understanding, and maybe concerns, are same as yours - I think possibly that "all systems have to be working" which would be different than a Condition Inspection, but I don't know.   Possibly, he could just note that it needs to be certified before use?  His answer would be interesting to hear.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

It seems to be some grey area. If it’s a matter of me having to have it signed off I’ll just pull it out of the panel. You do need to have a current conditional in the books prior to the inspection but I’m curious about my inop theory. The regs only say it has to have inspected in the past 24 mos  to “use it”.  I’ll research it some more. Been lots of folks through this already. 

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted (edited)

It seems to be some grey area. If it’s a matter of me having to have it signed off I’ll just pull it out of the panel. You do need to have a current conditional in the books prior to the inspection but I’m curious about my inop theory. The regs only say it has to have inspected in the past 24 mos  to “use it”.  I’ll research it some more. Been lots of folks through this already. 

I figure it's just one more thing to keep us Country guys away from the Big Cities and Commercial traffic!   ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I figure it's just one more thing to keep us Country guys away from the Big Cities and Commercial traffic!   ;<)   EDMO

I’ve very easily managed it 9 years and 500 hrs less than 45 NM from San Fran. I’ve gotten Flight folllowing as a primary target before.

Edited by C5Engineer
1 person likes this

Posted

Joey look at Section (d) (4) of this CFR - I think you may be ok to list it as INOP and get the inspection as is - seeing "you're the person "appropriately rated to perform maintenance".

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.213

Posted

I am very sure there is at least a provision to ferry a plane in to a facility to get an overdue xpdr cert done.

Guess I would go along those lines.  Mark it inop and to be recertifiied as soon as practical.

Posted (edited)

Joey look at Section (d) (4) of this CFR - I think you may be ok to list it as INOP and get the inspection as is - seeing "you're the person "appropriately rated to perform maintenance".

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.213

I think that says it excludes instruments "NOT REQUIRED for DAY VFR"?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I bought my ride without a transponder and flew it into an airport under the class B ring of death (ONZ) - phone call to the tower ahead of time (told to stay clear of Bravo), call up on the radio when I got close to the 30 nm ring (They didn't see me on radar at that point). After installing the transponder (and leaving it off), use the same process to get out of the B ring and into a C airport for the initial check. But since then, I have found a couple of "trunkers" who will come out and do the checks. Leave the hangar unlocked, log book and check on the glare shield and magic happens while I am at work :-)

Dunno what would be required for the first inspection though.

Posted

As an FAA inspector  in Alaska I would let the 135 operators fly with a transponder that was due the biennial check. If they had an MEL, they could defer it .. I would not take it out. IN a real emergeny you could turn it on and kit ident 7700 and paint the controllers scope where you are if you need that....

You just cant use the transponder so you cant fly in airspace that requires the transponder.....

The encoder and transponder check is to make sure it is transmitting the correct code and altitude info. even with a tight static system I have seen them off 100 feet. YOu can call the controller and while flying along ask himm what altitude he is showing you at . The avionics guy will check the transponder and encoder and sometimes they adjust the encoder a little bit but rarely the transponder....

The regs say "when you use it.........that is the key...if you use it, it has to have been checked in the last 24 months......

Thats the way I see it.

I have even had FAA legal agree with me....

They are good to have even it you dont talk to anyone because it makes you visible to other faster planes.....

1 person likes this

Posted

I haven’t had one in my other plane in 9 years and don’t plan on “using” one in Phase 1 until I do my SL to 10k time to climb testing. Think I’m good. Thanks guys. 

Posted (edited)

I haven’t had one in my other plane in 9 years and don’t plan on “using” one in Phase 1 until I do my SL to 10k time to climb testing. Think I’m good. Thanks guys. 

Is climbing to 10K mandatory Phase 1 testing?  I get dizzy more than 4K MSL - Have to stop at Hays, Kansas to acclimate before going on to Denver!   ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Is climbing to 10K mandatory Phase 1 testing?  I get dizzy more than 4K MSL - Have to stop at Hays, Kansas to acclimate before going on to Denver!   ;<)   EDMO

No but since I have to go up there a few times a year to get to Idaho it’s necessary to see how it does up there. 

Posted (edited)

No but since I have to go up there a few times a year to get to Idaho it’s necessary to see how it does up there. 

Our highest "Mountain" is 1700 MSL, and its in a MOA, so I usually avoid it.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Our highest "Mountain" is 1700 MSL, and its in a MOA, so I usually avoid it.   EDMO

That ain't no mountain son.  In the southern sierra between Bishop and Ridgecrest there are three peaks over 14000 feet along side of the US 395 corridor. One of them is called Whitney.  I've drove past them but never flown in that neck of the woods.  My new to me airplane is down there.  The insurance company is making my hire a delivery pilot because I'm so rusty.  I say good.  Keeps me out of trouble. 

Posted (edited)

That ain't no mountain son.  In the southern sierra between Bishop and Ridgecrest there are three peaks over 14000 feet along side of the US 395 corridor. One of them is called Whitney.  I've drove past them but never flown in that neck of the woods.  My new to me airplane is down there.  The insurance company is making my hire a delivery pilot because I'm so rusty.  I say good.  Keeps me out of trouble. 

Electric company has a large reservoir on top of that 1700 foot Tom Sauk Mountain - They release the water down a chute to generate electricity half of the day, and spend the other half of the day pumping the water back to the top - Guess it works?

I think Mt. Whitney is the tallest mountain in the lower 48.  14,000 feet is outer space to us flatlanders!  Around here, anything over 1000 feet is "High Country" - Mostly its just dodging tall towers at that altitude!  Getting too many of them for scud-running.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO