Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What gear is this??

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I have this 1990 Kitfox 2  with this gear. What is it??? Airdale???? Where can I get the softer spring that dont bind if I hit hard??? I can cut, grind and weld, just dont know where to get the springs...with more space between the coils??? Enclose are some photos....The gear width is 78" center of tire to center of opposite tire....

Thanks, Mark SMith

DSCN1446.JPG

DSCN1447.JPG

DSCN1448.JPG

DSCN1449.JPG

DSCN1450.JPG

DSCN1451.JPG

DSCN1452.JPG

DSCN1453.JPG

Posted (edited)

That looks like the High Wing Gear. The springs are available at McMaster Carr they are called die springs.

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

I have one of the springs (Honda?) that akflyer used to replace those springs - I wont be able to get to the shop until next weekend to get the numbers or where to order.  I am sure that Leni posted it somewhere.  EDMO

Posted

To be honest the lighter springs are still way too stiff. A couple guys have used snowmobile springs successfully. There’s a few threads here. 

Posted

Looks like they have the Grove style axle flange.  Nice feature.

As an exercise I wonder if Harley-Davidson SoftTail rear shocks would work.  They are an extension shock that could possibly be spliced right into a gear like this...  ??

SoftailDiagram-600-350-96dpi.jpg

Posted (edited)

Leni posted a chart (or a link to a chart) that shows the different strength springs - donno where it is.  The springs he used were 325 lbs and I got one, but he thought I would need either 190 or 220 lbs for my nosegear.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

The chart that Leni posted can be found by searching Snowmachine Spring Chart.  I just pulled up the link he posted but for some reason cant print it or copy it - Will try one more time to add it here.   I think TJay bought a set and showed a simple and safe way to compress springs?   EDMO

Posted 12 Jun 2017 · Report post

Here is a chart for various snowmachine springs that can be used for those of us making or modifying a spring type gear.  I think Leni also posted where to order them somewhere in that thread of posts?   EDMO

Snowmobile_Rear_Suspension_-_Front_Arm_Springs.pdf

1 person likes this 1 Like this
Edited by EDMO

Posted

If practical put a bar between the front mounts (I think this has been covered in another thread)as there has supposedly been some failures here.

I am in the process of getting rid of the die springs and replacing with rubber(there arn't many options here in NZ) but I have found sparex cab mounts s62248 that are a perfect fit.300 grams per side vs 750 grams for the steel and have provision for a band to tune the setup:) .I will post when fitted in the next few weeks

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Not sure who built this but it is not a High Wing setup. The attach point for the spring strut is different to say noting of the axle setup.  My new gear has an axle setup similar to this with Matco .75" bolt on axle. That allows an easy way to to adjust the camber and toe for the wheels. Might be a nice gear with the  snowgo springs.

As Dusty mentioned the cabane is weak without the base of the triangle added to help protect your airframe  

Edited by wypaul

Posted

Maybe the gear is made by kitfox? It has matco axles that are bolted to the lower gear leg. I just dont want to bend the frame...l do know this gear was on a kitfox 4 with a 912 rotax and the last owner pulled the grove gear that was on the KF2 and put it on his KF4 which he kept. So this gear was originally for a KF4 and it is VERY STIFF, it does not budge at all. The KF2 weight 501# empty. SO I was thinking softer springs or maybe just remove the springs and try bungees or like Dusty said above, rubber cab mounts might work. I guess it will be trial fit to see what works...

.. Ill block the fuselage up and remove the vee cabane and weld in a cross piece.RIght now I have to pull the engine and get it overhauled. It has 725 hrs and never was touched and finally the cross shaft stripped the center gear on the crank and the engine quit. It was built in 1989 or 1990 right in there someplace.... Also it has an aluminum header tank in the front fuselage unlike anything I have ever seen. I read an old Kitfox SB#29 that said remove it and install a header tank in the back to prevent fuel flow interruptions...I have a new metal header tank with low fuel warning switch coming from Murle Willams. I put one in my Ridge Runner and it sure worked well. I hooked the low fuel warning float to a red LED on the panel. If I ran the engine with the wings folded, eventually the header fuel would draw down and the red LED would come on SO I know it works..

DSCN1468.JPG

DSCN1469.JPG

DSCN1472.JPG

DSCN1451.JPG

Posted

The axles are Grove #5012    3/4" diameter axles for Matco W62 wheels which is what is installed.... THis gear is so stiff it does not even budge.. I need to get softer springs for I thinks???

Posted

Couple other options from my two birds.

D6372DF8-DD39-4B6D-BFB8-A4918BA99013.jpeg

1C3A472E-B083-4E10-8967-2C759E8BA270.jpeg

Posted

Did you make the bungee shock struts?? I might try to build a set at some point. That way I could add more bungees or less to get the  right suspension... I dont like ridgid gear, it puts too much strain on the frame... I used to see Cubs in Alaska with 2 1280 bungees and a 1380 and the gear didnt move. It resulted mostly in bent 3/8" bolts. SOme guys would just rotate the bolts 180 degrees and let it bend the other way..I would rather have the gear move like it was designed...

I guess the ultimate solution is the nitrogen shoks like you have because they are adjustable....I would not be against paying the money if it kept mefrom bending metal.....cheaper than trying to fix a bent fuselage  or worse....Mark

Posted

Is that 4 wraps on each side of the shock strut? 3/8" diameter bungee???? 

Posted

I have the same gear on my avid and I used the highwing preferreled bungees for a kitfox.work well

Posted

I would think that replacing the die springs with weaker snogo springs and lengthening the slots would be a better more permanent fix than changing over to bungees which deteriorate and can break.  I never did trust bungees.  EdMO

2 people like this