Kitfox 1 Rebuild

35 posts in this topic

Posted

I have the same battery in my Avid,  and I think it's only about 12 lbs.  My strap looks to be about the same size.  At 10 - 12 gs of force, you may have other things to worry about besides just the battery coming loose.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hey Jim,

you're probably right when considering normal aircraft ops but when shit hits the fan and you come to a very sudden stop (like in a crash) it has been known that the pilot/pax could have survived the crash (even at 10 G's) but where killed or seriously injured by badly attached items  like elt's behind pilot's head, fire extinguishers, axe, batteries, bad seatbelt attachment, luggage etc.

All items/bodies at a high deceleration rate become heavy and if not strongly attached transform into fast killing missiles...

Just my 2 boring cent's to keep as safe as possible......

Edited by flywise

Posted

Ya, you're right to.  Things will go flying.  I could have worded my post a bit milder.  JImChuk

Posted

Just want to update you all with a few pics of the progress and even moving the project from school to back home.

A big thank you to Ronin for the new landing gear, wheels, and brakes and to Avidflyer1 for the 68" Warp Drive prop. I'm out of A&P school and now working as an A&P for the local FBO, so I haven't had a lot of time for fixing up the Kitfox. I am hoping to fire up the 582 this weekend and install the windshield within the next week or so. 

20180302_163323_26722089818_o.thumb.jpg.20180309_172129_39822561625_o.thumb.jpg.20180305_160515_25774622347_o.thumb.jpg.20180320_155901_26055153627_o.thumb.jpg.20180319_164005_39099441610_o.thumb.jpg.20180322_073857_27088335648_o.thumb.jpg.20180322_193217_41085535681_o.thumb.jpg.20180410_201010_41379835821_o.thumb.jpg.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Can you elaborate a little bit on that firewall seal? Steady as she goes. Many of us have done this 1 or 2 hrs at a time while working full time. It’ll all come together. Looking good so far!

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Can you elaborate a little bit on that firewall seal? Steady as she goes. Many of us have done this 1 or 2 hrs at a time while working full time. It’ll all come together. Looking good so far!

sure, I used some leftover baggage door seal I found at school. It's soft and pliable, making a much better seal than the felt tape that was previously on there.

Posted

What rivets did you use for windows? I'm replacing my Lexan & not finding what I need....

Posted

I ordered mine on-line. I used a large flange rivet. You can get them in colors too. I got white because my plane is white. Here is a picture of the tag. 

image.jpg

Posted

I used 1/2 inch grip length with a backer washer. If the backer washer hits anything grind the edge off to make it fit right. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted

What rivets did you use for windows? I'm replacing my Lexan & not finding what I need....

Here is what I used they work good because they have very little strength so they don't pull real tight.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/rivet4ab.php