Installing new axles

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I have had a few delays in my project mostly due to Hurricane Harvey recovery but I am finally ready to install my new axles in the gear legs of my Avid. I am using new Matco 3/4" axles as an upgrade from the old cable drum brakes to Matco disks. I am trying to determine where I should locate the calipers both in distance from the gear leg and also if there is a best clock position around the axles like ahead of the axle or behind the axle etc. I have marked what looks good to me on the axle for a cut off and the hole for the pin bolt to lock it in but though I should check before I actually commit to cutting the new axles.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted

What I did.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Looks like Matco W62 6" wheels and Carlisle tires - same as I have.  No crossbolt thru axle yet?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Good eye Ed. I made up a couple axle sets, this one with drilled ends for skis and/or wheel pants etc. but I didn't want to drill the pin bolt thru the axle sleeve until I had my gear plans finalized. The hose clamp is just temporary of course so I could roll the thing around.

@ Dan - The Avid Mk-IV builder manual says 8-7/8" minimum axle length is necessary for use of wheel penetration skis with 6.00 x 6 standard or 8.00 x 6 tundra tires. I bought some 3/4" 4130 steel rod (cold-finished MIL-S-6758A-normalized) and cut 3/4"-16 threads for the retaining nut. Then I cut a center pilot hole on the end of the axle while chucked in the lathe. Drill that a minimum of 1" deep and tap 7/16" x 20. You will also need to modify the axle nut for a spring retaining clip as the axle nut bolt prohibits the use of a retaining cotter key in the end of the axle. 

These threads might have some additional info and tips:

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/297-wheelaxle-installation/

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/1518-landing-gear-axle-assy/

image.jpeg

Posted

I've got some late model Kitfox 3/4 axles - haven't measured them or looked to see if they are drilled and tapped - they are threaded for the nut.  EdMO

Posted

Hi dholly,

The pictures are a great help. I should have mentioned that I am using the Matco axles because I have an early C model which does not have any type of mounting plate for brakes at the end of the axle mounting tube. The Matco axles have a plate to mount the caliper bracket to and a plate for the inner bearing to seat against which is already set for perfect alignment of the caliper to my early W62 wheel/brake setup. I don't think I can move them in quite as close as yours due to the brake caliper plate mounting hardware but I may try to rotate my calipers down a bit and get them in as close as I can. I will try to get some pictures next time I am down at the airport.

Oh yeah, I am not planning for skis, not much use around the Houston area :lmao:

Thanks,

Dan