Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 blue head or grey head?????

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Document.rtfIm looking to buy a 582 for my KF2 project. Ive read the blue head is less prone to cold seizure due to an improved coolant system,but the only one I can find is a new one for $5600 less gearbox and starter but has exhaust and carbs...from CPS.
The other option is grey head. There are several used for sale on barnstormers.. One for 3000 with no carbs, starter, gearbox or exhaust, but overhauled.
I have a gearbox and a starter, but the only carbs I have are 2 503 carb that would have to be rejeted for ab0ut $160 for both. I can keep looking just not sure if I should hold out for the blue head. It is that much better engine>??
Thanks for any advice.... Mark

Posted

talk to Rotax Rick or keep looking around.  The 582's are out there.  I have only owned grey heads and never had a problem with locking them up, but I am anal about warming them up really good before takeoff.  The blue heads also have an improved seal on the water pump, but you can get the grey head block machined and retro fitted for the ceramic seal as well. 

What gear box do you have?  Jetting the carbs is easy, you will probably want a couple of jets anyway for high / low altitude or summer / winter flying.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Here's what Rotax Rick has to say about the Blue vs Grey https://rotaxrick.wordpress.com/qas/. I'm in the process of rebuilding a grey 582. You can essentially make all the blue head mods on a grey head i.e. ceramic rotary shaft seal, thermostat, etc. I'm still going stock on my grey head just knowing that I'll need to leave time for adequate warm up and no "shock" cooling while in flight to prevent seizure. Also the rotary shaft seal can still be the original rubber seals you'll just need to run Dex Cool which is phosphate and silicate free to prevent the seals from eroding.

1 person likes this

Posted

Mark, I have a grey head 582 w/about 5 hours total, never flown. I’m down at Clarkston, let me know if I can help.  Jack—509 254 3068.

2 people like this

Posted

talk to Rotax Rick or keep looking around.  The 582's are out there.  I have only owned grey heads and never had a problem with locking them up, but I am anal about warming them up really good before takeoff.  The blue heads also have an improved seal on the water pump, but you can get the grey head block machined and retro fitted for the ceramic seal as well. 

What gear box do you have?  Jetting the carbs is easy, you will probably want a couple of jets anyway for high / low altitude or summer / winter flying.

:BC:

What he said-:):2cent: