Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mass balance Counterweights for KF1

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I posted on Team Kitfox and didn't get a response. I found someone selling a mass balance counterweight set. However it looks like it's designed for the symmetrical flaperon and would need to be reworked to fit my flat bottom flaperons. Would this be advisable? Any idea how expensive they'd be from Kitfox directly? When I looked at the SB it was $90 in 1990's dollars.20170926_142636.thumb.jpg.0f54ae372d7dfc

Posted (edited)

Give Kitfox a call tomorrow and ask.  I have a set of these in yellow powdercoat.  I think a straightening and some shortening of the flat part would be easy to do.  I would like to know what Kitfox wants for them too.   I usually ask half of new price for parts plus shipping.  I need a price on some aluminum framed quarter windows too.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah I'm planning on doing that, I'll let you know what they say.

Posted

If they balance out fine I don't see an issue.

Posted (edited)

If they balance out fine I don't see an issue.

A "perfect" balance, (usually 1/2" nose down by the books), is usually too much trouble to achieve and with the passing of time is usually not enough because of build-up of paint, dirt, moisture, ice, etc., in controls.   An overbalance is always better.  The additional weight is usually very small once a certain balance point is passed.   My ailerons hang with the nose straight down before covering and painting - I may have to add weight after they are finished.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

So I called Kitfox today and they said they don't have any Model 1-4 parts in stock and that everything is special order. The new style counterweights are $160 for a set. So it looks like I'll be doing some modifying to make them work, no biggie.

1 person likes this

Posted

So I called Kitfox today and they said they don't have any Model 1-4 parts in stock and that everything is special order. The new style counterweights are $160 for a set. So it looks like I'll be doing some modifying to make them work, no biggie.

Well,  guess I have a set for sale now for $80 plus shipping.  Thanks,  EDMO