Avid on Barnstormers

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Speedwing with a Revmaster??? Hmmm Looks like a nicely built plane. I just wonder what data folks use when they decide what they are going to build.

Posted

I think it would make for a real interesting dead stick landing.....JImChuk

Posted

You guys don’t seem too enthused about the revmaster is it too heavy like the Subaru or reliability issues or................?

Posted

wing looks undercambered to me in the one pic you can see the end profile.  Looks like she has been wrecked as well.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

You guys don’t seem too enthused about the revmaster is it too heavy like the Subaru or reliability issues or................?

From what I have read, the VW engines weigh almost as much as the Subaru EA-81, but don't have the power without a redrive.  Guessing the AeroVee 2180 with redrive might work OK, but they don't have the higher rpms for using a redrive.  

The Subaru engine is a more modern short-stroked, higher rpm, re-engineered VW/Porsche/Boxer water-cooled engine that has proven reliability with more power.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Revmaster dry weight: 170 lbs (probably does not include exhaust) .  

http://revmasteraviation.com/?p=308

Posted

wing looks undercambered to me in the one pic you can see the end profile.  Looks like she has been wrecked as well.

:BC:

Looking at where the struts attach it looks like the short wing but pics are deceiving. Not sure how many Avids you've seen with Revmasters. Likely not too many. As others mentioned power to weight ratio just is not there compared to other platforms.

Posted

I wouldn't wish a Revmaster (or any VW conversion) on my worst enemy.  These engines do not work in these airplanes.  Period.

1 person likes this

Posted

I had a 2100D Revmaster in my Q2, when I removed it to install the Jabiru 3300 I weighed it and the actual weight was 200 lbs.  not to sure how they can come up with 170 even without the exhaust, starter and the oil cooler.