Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

LEAF Shipping Cost

15 posts in this topic

Posted

So I ordered some gaskets and small parts from Leading Edge Airfoils which weighed less than two pounds which was shipped in a box the size of a shoe box. I was charged $25 for shipping and handling using UPS! What's worse is that they don't give any quote/estimate of how much shipping will cost. Anybody find a way around this? They give USPS as an option but I didn't choose it since it seemed like there'd be hidden fees in using something other than their "preferred" shipper. I love their website and selection but man I'll have to look elsewhere if this is unavoidable.

For reference here's what they say on the website:

DELIVERY (STANDARD GROUND): Most orders are shipped UPS Ground and require a street address and a daytime phone number, unless it is more economical to ship USPS. Delivery of items in stock normally takes three to five business days. Shipping costs for orders are calculated using actual UPS shipping charges, plus a $3.00 handling fee per order. An additional $10.50 fee applies to propellers and oversized shipments. Please note the maximum weight per package for UPS destinations is 150 lbs. Maximum size is 165" length and girth combined (once down and once around the package). Oversize designations are given for packages with combined length and girth exceeding 84" (and less than 30 lbs.) and also 108" (and less than 70 lbs.). There are additional charges for Oversize packages. UPS also charges a $10.50 handling fee for packages measuring over 60" in length. Propellers typically incur the $10.50handling fee.

Posted (edited)

Just checked California Power Sports and now this is more like it...

Capture.thumb.JPG.baf65c18ed0c609b536351

Leading Edge has the best prices it seems from CPS and Lockwood at least for my 582 goodies but I think I'm losing out on any savings and then some if I have to pay premium UPS shipping costs.

Sorry for the rant, it just really shocked me when I got the invoice with my shipment today.

Edited by Brodstol
1 person likes this

Posted

We went through this California Power Systems a while back and the owner got involved and listened to our concerns. Their shipping prices and packing techniques were outrageous. They are now one in the same with Aircraft Spruce. I have gotten my last few orders from the Corona Spruce facility in 2-3 days with USPS first class shipping that came in at under $5.

1 person likes this

Posted

When I order from LEAF (fairly often) I always ask about the shipping costs and tell them I want the cheapest option.  Often it's been shipped in an envelope with USPS for less then $5.  I'm only in the next state over from them, so it always gets there fairly fast.  JImChuk

Posted

When I order from LEAF (fairly often) I always ask about the shipping costs and tell them I want the cheapest option.  Often it's been shipped in an envelope with USPS for less then $5.  I'm only in the next state over from them, so it always gets there fairly fast.  JImChuk

Yeah maybe I need to use USPS option next time. I personally don't like talking on the phone so I prefer online ordering. They need to communicate better on their website the shipping options i.e. CPS or practically any other online retailer. What frustrates me the most is that I know they could've shipping my package cheaper but opted to go the convenient, easy route with UPS.

Posted

Speaking is becoming a lost art.  Sometimes we pay the price for that.  Older guys are probably more comfortable with speaking than younger more computer savy guys.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

That is so true, Jim.  I deal with people all day in my job.  Young people (>30) have almost completely lost the ability to communicate verbally.

It's amazing!

Posted

We went through this California Power Systems a while back and the owner got involved and listened to our concerns. Their shipping prices and packing techniques were outrageous. They are now one in the same with Aircraft Spruce. I have gotten my last few orders from the Corona Spruce facility in 2-3 days with USPS first class shipping that came in at under $5.

Aircraft Spruce went through this as well.  There were lots of complaints on the Cozy forum, and I made Jim Irwin aware of it.  He apologized on the forum, and it was fixed almost immediately.

Mark

Posted (edited)

Aircraft Spruce went through this as well.  There were lots of complaints on the Cozy forum, and I made Jim Irwin aware of it.  He apologized on the forum, and it was fixed almost immediately.

Mark

It is still an issue.  I ordered some bolts and washers from Spruce yesterday for the new landing gear I am working on.  It would easily fit in a small priority mail flat rate box that costs 5.25 to ship anywhere in the world.  The cheapest option was 18.71 for priority shipping on the order.  I called and asked about this but they said the options are limited and they must be charging a "handling" fee.  She also stated that they don't have flat rate priority boxes.

If that is the case, they are borderline stupid.  Flat rate boxes are free to the business.  I can have cases of them delivered to my house or business for NOTHING.  This means I don't have to pay for shipping boxes and I can also pass the very low flat rate shipping on A LOT of parts on to the customer.  You don't pay for packaging and you get flat rates.  Does that not sound much smarter than having to purchase shipping boxes and then packing 2/3rd of the box full of peanuts and bullshit packaging just  to keep a few washers and bolts from rattling around in a box that's 20 times larger than it needs to be and costs 3-4 times over what it should to ship.  See update below to this one.

Edited by akflyer

Posted

USPS if it fits it ships boxes can be a real deal.  A few years ago, I was selling a bunch of big truck parts.  I sold a couple of sets of brake pads that had to stretch the box to fit, but the post office took it.  That box probably weighed at least 40 lbs, and it still shipped for the set priority mail price.  I think it was just under $12.00 at the time.  And like you say, the boxes are free.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Just a follow up, I put in another order yesterday before I got the invoice for the original order and it too was shipping UPS. I talked with customer service and they changed it to USPS so I think I'll be using the USPS option for now on. It'll be interesting to see what the shipping charge will be. 

Posted

I used to order all my  aircraft hardware from Spencer Aircraft in Seattle. Get this, Spencers catalog looks just like ACS and Spencers prices were way less.Now thats been 10 yrs and a lot can happen but its worth checking out.

2 people like this

Posted

UPDATE.. I got a surprise phone call from Jack with AC Spruce today.. Seem they do keep an eye on the forum and he was handed a print out of this thread.  Jack called and explained the hose up and credited my account.  Not only is this a one time credit, I have been instructed on how to make sure this does not happen in the future as well.  I was pretty surprised that he took the time to call and make things right now and in the future. 

My take away is

1) this lil forum is getting attention of the suppliers etc and they really are trying to do the best they can to keep people happy.

2) If you are making a small order don't do it on line, call it in and request the flat rate boxes.  If you have issues call and tell them you want to speak to Jack!

I am pretty sure you guys have figured out by now that I am straight up and have no problems calling a spade a spade and I am not one to give out praise too easily.  Jack really gave me a feel good today about the big guy listening to the little fish in the pond.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I used to order all my  aircraft hardware from Spencer Aircraft in Seattle. Get this, Spencers catalog looks just like ACS and Spencers prices were way less.Now thats been 10 yrs and a lot can happen but its worth checking out.

Just for giggles I looked up Spencer and compared prices on my last few orders.  Some items were a few pennies cheaper, some a few more (versus spruce) and all in all it seemed to be a wash to me.  I would think in a case like this it comes down to customer service.

:BC:

Posted

IN the 60s-90s there Aerospace business on the west coast was going gangbuster, not so much now. I think a lot of that hardware was all over the place on the west coast for cheap.

I looked up Spencer Aircraft too after I made the post..in the 80s the ACS hardware section was identical to Spencer Aircraft Hardware catalog. I guess it is all changing with the times....