Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Engine Teardown?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Im getting close to the paint stage on my Skyraider build.I bought a 582 greyhead motor that has 121 hours since a Rotax rebuild.Do you guys think I should tear it down and do a decarbon and reseal it as it has been 5 years since it last ran?I bought it from a guy that had it in a Kitfox and has a very good log book entry of all the maintenace that he did on it.I am more worried about the seals than anything as it has set longer than the Rotax recomendation.Thanks Randy

Posted

My 582 grey head had about the same hours and sat about the same amount of time when I plugged it back into my Avid after the failure of my 670. I ran it to about 250 hours without a problem before I had it rebuilt.

Posted

It could go either way. If your going to tear it down it you might as well put a top end in it and call it a fresh motor. It's the same amount of work basically. A seal probably won't cause a failure it will most likely manifest itself as a leak. My grey head leaking is finally made me decide to get rid of it.

Posted

Mine had right around 121 hrs on it when I got it and it had been sitting under a tarp for a few years out in the elements. when I got it home, it fired right up, but since I was doing a complete rebuild on the plane, I figured what the hell.. new crank and seals just so I knew what I had to start out with in the "new" plane. seals are cheap, bent planes are not. I have pulled the exhaust a few times in the last 150+ hrs and it all looks clean with no carbon build up visible so I have not bothered to pull it down for a de-carbon.

On my brothers engine at about 250 hrs he decided to run some Mercury "power tune" through it. For about 5 minuted there was some really nasty black come out the exhaust, but then it cleaned right up. About 10 hrs later he has to tear it down for other reasons and it was clean as a whistle with NO traces or carbon around the rings or tops of the pistons.

:BC:

Posted

while we're on the subject, I have a similar issue. I have a 582 greyhead that has sat for about eight yrs. It has a total of 27hrs. since new. It was completely rebuilt with a new crank and broken in before it sat. It wasn't stored well, basicly just sat on the airplane (KF III) Obviously the all the seals will need to be replaced but what does everyone think about the crank ? How hard is it to rebuild the carbs ? (bing 54s) thanks,

Posted

while we're on the subject, I have a similar issue. I have a 582 greyhead that has sat for about eight yrs. It has a total of 27hrs. since new. It was completely rebuilt with a new crank and broken in before it sat. It wasn't stored well, basicly just sat on the airplane (KF III) Obviously the all the seals will need to be replaced but what does everyone think about the crank ? How hard is it to rebuild the carbs ? (bing 54s) thanks,

new ends seals on the crank, and you should be able to inspect the bearings for any signs of rust. The carbs are stupid easy to rebuild, really nothing more than pulling the jets and cleaning them, blowing out a couple passages and slapping them back together. Fuel pump is easy to rebuild also. Just pay attention how you pull it apart, and put the new diaphragms back in the same way. There are lots of good articles on the CPS website and many others that will walk you through this.

:BC:

Posted

Wow! This is a great forum. Thanks to all of you who are sharing your experiences, especially the 582 Rotax grey head engine since that's what I have in a 1993 Avid Mark IV that I'm getting restored at Rocky Mountain Wings, LLC. It's been a 5-year project, but I know it will be worth it.

All of your input is good prep for me.

Dick W.

Great Falls, MT

Posted

welcome .how far along is your project? Im in kalispell