Better Avid Gear

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi ak 

more than likely I’ll need gear for a magnum, taller ,wider , rubber puck ,in your opinion is 1.25 in. Good for the 1750# 

mto magnum 

thx rjg 

IMO,  You would probably break the four attachment bolts before damaging the steel 1.25 axles - They have been used on heavier planes than yours.  Not much difference in the 1.25 and the 1.5 axle strengths.   I don't know about aluminum, if that is what Matco makes, but I think the weakest part would be the attachment plate on the axle.  ???  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hi ak 

more than likely I’ll need gear for a magnum, taller ,wider , rubber puck ,in your opinion is 1.25 in. Good for the 1750# 

mto magnum 

thx rjg 

If your talking Axle size then I would say yes.  Many many cubs are still running 1.25" axles. 

Posted

Have you considered using a hydrasorb with bungees like the supercub use .They provide the tunability with the bungees and the dampening of the shock.They are not cheap new ,but you can usually fine them used for a lot less. The piper PA 20 and 22 also use them but in a different configuration but will work the same way as they do in the supercub if installed in the strut.

They bolt into the the strut and form the top section of the strut on the supercub gear.

u12998-003__92411.1373911872.1280.1280.j

1 person likes this

Posted

I had a kitfox 2 with kitfox bush gear. It was nice and wide but had the springs... Ill try  to post a video of what happens if you make a hard landing.. Now keep in mind, I had 600x6 tires installed so they dont offer much shock absorption. If yhou watch the video after It stalls a few feet off the ground, and fall you can see the left gear leg forward tube is bent. This turned the left wheel and axle inward and I lost control of the plane and into the ditch. I was able to fix it in about a week. It twisted the tail and ripped off the left wing tip.. I was pissed at myself more than anything and I add a lot of things go wrong all at once but more on that later.. I dont like the spring because once it bottoms out, metal will bend.  C-5 found this out as well and he had big tires. The advantage of the bungee is you can change the number of wraps to control the stiffness and bungess cord is relatively easy to get. so Ill try to post the video now hope it works.. Mark Smith 

https://youtu.be/62TGrm9_Qtg

The GPS info is superimposed and you will see it quit flying about 50mph because I had a 20 mph tail wind. Also the airspeed if a piece of junk someone installed and while I had one on order it had not shown up. The airspeed in the the KF during this crash you could not see the numbers are the low end...

Leni use bungees. I know you are a die hard and can fly springs but think of all the mortals like me out there who make hard landings and they will bend the gear and then the name calling and finger pointing start..... remember the basic rule, when a pilot screws up the truth aint in him!

Posted

there was a guy in Fairbanks years ago, he was a true outlaw mechanic who commonly said "F' the FAA... He used a ford falcon(1960 vintage front shock I think and put it in a bucket of ice and welded on the ears off a broken hydro sorb. off a super cub. The whole idea is to control the rebound of the gear. Big heavy tires and brakes and extra heavy bungees the gear would slam back and bottom out and after a few years the fluid leaks out and then what happens is the "V" cabane gets bulges in it from compression failure and eventually breaks... The guys who used the adjustable shocks like on the late model snow machines are on to something but pretty expensive I guess...

Posted

How about it, Leni? I’m up for some good wide gear. I really liked the look of High Country’s wide gear. I’m local, so it shouldn’t be too hard to work something out. Have you already made a set, or is it still in the works? I’m grounded until my broken wing heals, at least another month. My work will be pretty well wrapped up by that time. I’m hoping I can get some bush gear on the plane in the meantime. I might as well start with it set up the way I want it in the long run.