ANR Hedset - is it worth it?

ANR Headset - is it worth the money?   14 votes

1. 1. Do you use an ANR Headset?

2. 2. Are you happy with your ANR Headset (is it efficient and worth the money)?

• I already told you I don't use one...
    • It's not bad but not a big difference with a good passive headset
    • Oh, yes, it is really nice
    • Sometimes I have to make sure the engine is still running
  3. 3. What engine are you running ( most ANR headsets are better with 4 strokes than 2 strokes and best with direct drive 4 strokes...)?

• 2 stroke
    • 4 stroke reducted
    • 4 stroke direct drive
  4. 4. If you have an ARN Headset that you are happy with please post brand and model in a comment. Any +/- infor is always welcome, thanks for replying!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Doing a poll for ANR Headsets. They cost a fortune and are sometimes not that efficient with 2 strokes. If you have one, please share your feedback. 

Posted

I have a Lightspeed 20 3G, older set, but it works real well.  You can probably find one used for $200 or less.  I've used it with both 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines.  JImChuk    http://www.blueskiespilotshop.com/lianr20.html

Posted

I have the original Lightspeed Zulu and it was well worth the cost. It does a great job on the noise cancellation, is very lightweight, and super comfortable.

Posted

I have lightspeed Zulu2s. They were ABSOLUTELY AWESOME behind my Magnum with 0-320. I can't even begin to say how I loved them and how they killed the engine drone. Like the question above..."was my engine even running"  :-) Then I started flying behind the Fat Avid 912 with it's higher RPM and higher frequency audio noise. The Zulus still work very well there too but maybe not quite as good noise reduction as at the lower frequencies of the 0-320 but still VERY Very good.

Certain higher engine RPM's of the 912 will break the squelch and it will not want to close back up. This is not the headphones it's the squelch in the SL-40. I need to dive into the squelch menu in the radio to fix this since I haven't changed squelch settings in the radio since moving it from the magnum to the Fat Avid. Overall very happy with the lightspeeds, but to be honest haven't spent any real time flying with other ANR headsets to compare.

I did take a trip in the right seat in my bosses 1300 HP turbine Epic wearing his Bose headsets. I thought they worked great too, but the noise profile of the plane was completely different than piston engines.

Posted

I have a Bose.  It is the best money I have spent since I started flying.  The bluetooth is nice to connect to my phone for music and calling.  The ANR feature is without compare to a passive headset.

Prior to this, I had an older Lightspeed that was large, bulky, ugly and literally it's plastic construction fell apart.  When it did work, my passive David Clark was better at noise reduction.  No comparison of this unit to the quality of the Bose.  Newer Llightspeed units may be better, but I'll never know.

Posted

Nope, tried a lightspeed for a while, my 582 speaks at a higher frequency, they worked well but not any miracle. Not a big fan. I sat on them getting in one day and replaced them with a great bargain headset now, the RuggedAir on Amazon. Blocks the noise, works well, and I can but 5 of them for a lightspeed.

https://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Air-RA200-General-Aviation/dp/B01A6KE0RC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1516386784&sr=8-5&keywords=airplane+headset

Posted

When I was flying behind the 582 before I sprung for ANR, I adapted a pair of foam in-ear headphones (earbuds) and wore my passive headset over the top of the earbuds. That combo was (reasonably) comfortable and super quiet for the price of earbuds and an old $50.00 used aviation headset. 

Posted

I have the Lightspeed Tango Wireless. Absolutely love them! No more messing with cords. Very comfortable-just the right amount of softness and firmness. I'm a big guy, they fit me perfectly. Bose are too small and the ear pieces are toooo mushy for me.  The Anr works well on my 582, it's a very noticeable improvement and well worth the money. I still know the engine is running. Headsets are just like a pair of shoes, they need to be tried on each individual to see how they fit and if you like the way they perform.  Order multiple pair from Sportys or Spruce, try them out, and send the ones back before your next credit card payment.  Good luck, Bryce. Ps: the Bluetooth function works wonderfully with these. When talking on the phone in flight, others cannot hear the 582 running! I was flying 2,000 above a friend standing outside there house talking to them on my phone. They didn't believe I was flying as they couldn't hear the engine in the background on the phone(they had flown in my Avid, so knew how loud it is).  So I told them where they were standing and what was around them, then they looked up and saw me. They said it was as good or better than my Bluetooth phone set up in my car-like setting in my office.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Lightspeed Zulu 2. I am more or less profoundly deaf with expensive hearing aids.  They work very well with the Zulu 2 set.  I must admit though that the price was frightening.  If one is on a tighter budget there are other less expensive ones available.  I flew three 3.5hour legs one day with no discomfort at all.  That's saying something.  4 stroke engine.

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted

I have the Lightspeed Zulu 3. I made my choice after realizing my "el cheapo" headsets were not doing a very good job. I could hear pretty well and they transmitted just fine on the ground but at cruise rpm no one could understand a word. The transmitter was picking up so much engine noise from my 912 I had to throttle way back to be heard. They didn't work very well with the intercom either. One of my friends has a Cub Crafters S/S and has a spare Bose he wasn't using. He handed them to me to try. Man, what a difference. As soon as I hit that ANR switch I became a believer. Several of us were doing a flyout for lunch that day and I was able to communicate clearly with one of our group 13 miles away. Problem solved! The Bose is great but my buddy with the C/C Cub had retired the Bose in favor of the Lightspeed Zulu 3. He said his Cub is extremely noisy and the Lightspeed does a better job keeping the noise out. I went with the Lightspeed based 1st on cost. Bose list for $1095, Zulu $850. Number 2, I like the Zulu's larger ear cups. They seem to keep the noise out better even with the ANR off.  The carrying case with the Zulu is better. The Zulu cords are better. They're very comfortable.  I like the Bose but even if the cost were equal I'd still chose the Zulu. I've never been any more pleased with a product, so pleased I ordered another for my passenger. I'm not one of those wealthy pilots so the cost hurts but I think they're a good value. James Thomas  

1 person likes this

Posted

My story and results are very similar to PitFox, except Jabiru and hearing was very difficult and painful, even with earplugs underneath. Compared Bose and Zulu 3, no regrets in getting a pair of Zulu 3s. Cheaper than hearing aids and way more joy, less pain.

Posted

senheiser , lovem . They dont makem  amymore. 

Posted

Lightspeed Tango Wireless.  Love them, no wires to tangle up is great in our tight cockpits.

Mark

Posted

Has anyone tried a pair of the Crazed Pilot ANR headsets?

Posted

I keep looking at the ANR kits you can get for 150 bucks to retro your current headset.  I don't expect it to perform like a 1000 headset but any real reduction would be better than nothing,

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I keep looking at the ANR kits you can get for 150 bucks to retro your current headset.  I don't expect it to perform like a 1000 headset but any real reduction would be better than nothing,

Where do you find those kits?

Posted

I had my  dc's converted by Headsets Inc. . They work very well.  Jackak

1 person likes this

Posted

This is right up my ally. I love a good hands on project.  I have a set of Sigtronics S-20s

1CD907ED-8049-49C4-8736-DDACC8C248DF.jpeg

Posted

First thing is get Gel ear seals.  That alone makes a HUGE difference!  The ANR kits will let you convert both headsets for less than buying one new one and it will make a big difference! 

Posted

The weakness of the more economical headsets is in their wiring itself.  To a much lesser extent the overall construction.  The wires just seem to break at the plugs, at the grommets where they enter the cups or sometimes in the middle.  I used to cut off the knob on a ball cap to accommodate the hard rubber headband cushion but I think a guy might get creative about something cushier there too.  I never did do the ANR conversion but I've got 6 Softcomm sets in a box in the garage that would be excellent candidates.  They came with an airplane I bought once.  I'll probably convert one pair for the backseat of my S-7

Posted

I converted an old DC with the headsets inc kit. They worked okay. My biggest complaint was that when the batteries died as passive headset it sounded really weird in the plane for some reason. I upgraded to Zulu 2s and love them. Watch barnstormers. I picked mine up for half the price of a new set and they still had the cellophane stuck to the ear pieces. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I have a buddy at school selling his Bose Aviation X headset for $200. I have a standard DC HC10-60 but after doing some research and reading this thread, I might take him up on his offer.

1 person likes this

Posted

I converted an old DC with the headsets inc kit. They worked okay. My biggest complaint was that when the batteries died as passive headset it sounded really weird in the plane for some reason. I upgraded to Zulu 2s and love them. Watch barnstormers. I picked mine up for half the price of a new set and they still had the cellophane stuck to the ear pieces. 

I was planning a panel mount power supply and not using the battery pack.  A 12-9V stepdown can be bought for under 5 bucks all day long on amazon.