MKIV Baggage area Arm for W&B

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone know the Arm of the MK4 baggage area off the top of your head?According to my program letter I need to include a most aft spreadsheet for my inspection on Saturday. I won't get a chance to measure it this week. Thanks! 

Posted

Just checked the Avid manual W&B chapter, 57" to rear of baggage compartment.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Marcus. I have 3 manuals and only one MK4 and that page is missing. EDIT it's in the manual I have I just didn't look at the examples enough. With me and 15 gallons of fuel I can put 68 lbs in my baggage area before it goes out the aft limit.

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted (edited)

I would think that you would measure to the center of baggage instead of the rear?  Probably not too much difference tho?  Better safe than sorry.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I would think that you would measure to the center of baggage instead of the rear?  Probably not too much difference tho?  Better safe than sorry.  EDMO

That was my first thought as well, but thinking about it (considering how it is designed and how I use mine) the rear point does make more sense.

1 person likes this

Posted

They are going with the most conservative number. I'm going to have to measure though. The pilot arm is at 16". It doesn't seem like it's another 4 ft to the back of the baggage area but perhaps it is.

Posted (edited)

They are going with the most conservative number. I'm going to have to measure though. The pilot arm is at 16". It doesn't seem like it's another 4 ft to the back of the baggage area but perhaps it is.

Joey,  The pilot arm should not be at the back of your butt or seat back - it is about the center of mass of your body. probably about where your belt buckle is located, or center of thigh - Of course that is for an FAA standard 170 lb pilot - others will vary, but the measurement is standard - measure that too from leading edge of wings before going on back to baggage and you may find the baggage rear is farther than you thought.  Kitfox 4 gives 18.3" for pilot, and 40.5" for baggage sack.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

I think you should measure.  Level it up and snap lines on the floor and do the complete deal soup to nuts.  It's kinda fun actually. 

Edited by Emory Bored
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I think you should measure.  Level it up and snap lines on the floor and so the complete deal soup to nuts.  It's kinda fun actually. 

Totally agree, and see how your measurements compare to the manual - Good way to have fun with on non-flying day.

Guess today is your big inspection day - Hoping to get a good report soon!    EdMO

Edited by EDMO