Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hello from Valrico, FL

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello, 

Just picked up a pretty much untouched K3 kit #807. I'm the 4th owner. Controls are in the fuselage and that's about it. I plan on a 912, 80 or 100hp whichever I find at the right time. I'll also be going with a Grove gear setup. Planning on the widebody mod, 4 control system, increased area rudder & elevator, electric pitch trim and a glass panel. The covering will be Stewarts glues, Superflite cloth, Airtech primer and likely Aerothane topcoat. This is the same system Ran's uses and Randy's planes always look great. I may just go all waterborne too so who knows right now. Will have a few parts for sale shortly, 13g fiberglass right wing tank, 6g aluminum left wing tank and the bungee gear. 

James

kit.jpg

Posted

Welcome Ronin,  We like building photos - Keep posting.  Are you buying new tanks?  EDMO

Posted (edited)

Welcome Ronin,  We like building photos - Keep posting.  Are you buying new tanks?  EDMO

That is my intention. I thought of sealing the one I have but I'm not too keen on slosh sealers. 

Edited by Ronin

Posted

If your gonna do all that I would use a newer set of wings as well

Posted

☝️x2

I've owned and flown both, adding the KF4-7 airfoil now would be the single best value add mod you could do IMHO. That, even assuming you paid full retail price for the new ribs and flaperons from KF Aircraft. There is a strong market for the model 1-3 ribs and flaperons as they are no longer produced. Doesn't add any additional build time really and the net OOP cost would be well worth it.

Welcome, looking forward to following your build progress. Sure hope you get more done than the first three owners!

Posted (edited)

☝️x2

I've owned and flown both, adding the KF4-7 airfoil now would be the single best value add mod you could do IMHO. That, even assuming you paid full retail price for the new ribs and flaperons from KF Aircraft. There is a strong market for the model 1-3 ribs and flaperons as they are no longer produced. Doesn't add any additional build time really and the net OOP cost would be well worth it.

Welcome, looking forward to following your build progress. Sure hope you get more done than the first three owners!

That was my original thought too. The question is if I use the KF4 wing what are the limitations to it going past 100mph? What exactly is the limiting issue(s) with the KF3 VNE, windscreen, spars, wing construction, spar carry-through, tail, wing struts? 

James

Edited by Ronin

Posted

Sure hope you get more done than the first three owners!

You can bet on that!

Posted (edited)

☝️x2

That was my original thought too. The question is if I use the KF4 wing what are the limitations to it going past 100mph? What exactly is the limiting issue(s) with the KF3 VNE, windscreen, spars, wing construction, spar carry-through, tail, wing struts? 

James

I think the limiting cruise factor on the early wings is the drag factor of the bubble that forms in the undercamber - The KF4 and later Riblett airfoil eliminates that factor.  Windscreens are the same, unless you want to buy the aftermarket (from LPS?), all the rest are only involved in weight of plane.  The Kitfox 4-1050 has a VNE of 125 and I believe it had same lift struts and tail as the KF3 - These were made heavier on the Kitfox 4-1200 and the tail made taller.  At least you should be burning less fuel at cruise speeds equal to what the undercambered wings fly at because of less drag.

I modified my undercambered ribs to be more like the Riblett by adding an extension under them with another ribcap on it, but I kept the rib tail hangers and made separate flaps and ailerons instead of the flaperons of the early models - I haven't completed the plane, but hoping someone will someday.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO