Coolant Bottle

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I noticed today that the top of my Rotax 582 coolant bottle is cracked around where the hose goes into the cap.  I understand that this bottle receives or sends collant to the radiators based on a positive or negative pressure in the bottle and there for must be airtight.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacment bottle or cap?

Steve

IMG_8262.JPG

Posted (edited)

Auto Parts store?  New Avid Company?  EDMo

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

That bottle does not have to be airtight.  You start out with the radiators full of coolant.  As the coolant warms and expands, it gets pushed into the overflow bottle.  When it cools back down the coolant contracts, and it is sucked back into the radiator system.   No need to be airtight.  in fact, if it was airtight, you would pressurize the bottle when coolant tried to force it's way in.  The hose going into the bottle should reach nearly to the bottom so it doesn't suck air.   Just like on all the newer cars that use an overflow tank.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Your good as long as the hose is tight on the tube going to the bottom of the bottle so it’ll suck back in. That’s some giant line you have there though. Mines 1/4” 

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

This is what I used.  IMO, much better than an athletic squirt bottle...

Link

1 person likes this

Posted

That bottle does not have to be airtight.  You start out with the radiators full of coolant.  As the coolant warms and expands, it gets pushed into the overflow bottle.  When it cools back down the coolant contracts, and it is sucked back into the radiator system.   No need to be airtight.  in fact, if it was airtight, you would pressurize the bottle when coolant tried to force it's way in.  The hose going into the bottle should reach nearly to the bottom so it doesn't suck air.   Just like on all the newer cars that use an overflow tank.  JImChuk

Ahhhh.  Makes sense.  Thanks JimChuk :)