Another Newb in the Pacific Northwet

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Y'all,  Decided to use moniker "Turbo"; sort of a corruption of Arturo, but I go by Art.  I live in the Columbia Gorge and love to windsurf here.  Many years ago I had a Tri-Pacer, and discovered that going fast wasn't where it's at for me; I just love being up there, so found myself, even on longer trips putting along at 2200 rpm and 85 mph, 1000 AGL.  This realization ruled out rocket-ships like Sonex and Quasar in favor of the low & slow type.  I have not flown for a long time, and likely have rust about 3" thick.  I suppose, however, that one never forgets how to ride a bike.  I am working on regaining my currency and getting that TD endorsement, if the weather would just cooperate!  I am in the process of buying an Avid model C from a chap way down in southern Oregon.  I have been reading many of the blogs on this forum, and it has been very instructive for me.  Thanks Guys! As an Aerodynamics engineer (retired from Boeing) I hope I too can contribute here and there.  The bird I'm buying has no cabin heat and no trim.  I've got some ideas I'd like to bounce off y'all at some point.  In the meantime, keep them props turning!

2 people like this

Posted

Welcome Art! 

Posted

Welcome Art, I used to go to the Gorge to windsurf.  Had some monster days out there riding my AHD Rocket behind a 3.2.

My boards and sails now just hangout in the hangar, no more playing chicken with the barges. 

Posted

Welcome Art!

I too used to work in Aerospace (avionics for Lockheed Martin), own & fly a Shortwing (a Clipper).  I eventually became disenchanted with having neither STOL or useful XC cruise with a Piper Shortwing, and paying someone else to do maintenance/CI, so replaced it with an Avid/Fox derivative for STOL and a Cozy for speed, both homebuilt so I can do the maintenance and CI.  Hopefully your C model is registered LS rather than EAB so you can train into the maintenance role.

Enjoy,

Marlon G, Lake Elmo, MN

Posted

Welcome from Wenatchee, have fun with the Avid!

Posted

Welcome to the forum. We love pictures. As I used to like to say at United "I'm not going if its not Boeing" Thanks for building great airplanes.  Mike

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum. We love pictures. As I used to like to say at United "I'm not going if its not Boeing" Thanks for building great airplanes.  Mike

X2 on all that ppilotmike!

Yeah I tried Airbus...  glad I was junior at the time and got kicked off it. :flag:

Never did get along with their idea of how an airplane is supposed to fly!

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

I will never forget the first gate call I did on a Northwest A-319. I got too the airplane and none of the controls were in a position one would expect. Called Maintenance Control, they told me to power down the aircraft for 5 minutes and then power it back up, when I powered it back up I almost jumped out of my skin watching all the control surfaces dance around. From that day on I called them the control, alt, delete, airplanes. I loved working on 727's and 37's. Mike

1 person likes this

Posted

hi turbo and welcome !

As an Aerodynamics engineer, i'd like to read you about avid airfoils.  

Manu.