Avid Flyer Speed-wing Checklist, Limits and Airspeeds

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

I recently purchased an Avid Speedwing Model C, Mark IV.  I've been putting together a kneeboard checklist that consolidates my inspections, airspeeds, and limits.  

My data has derived from the Avid Owners Manual, the Avid Builders Manual, and the Rotax Operators Manual.

Hoping some of you experienced Avid Flyers could review the attached checklist and provide detailed feedback on any corrections, recommendations, or issues you see with my data.

AVID FLYER N9695Q KNEEBOARD PACKET.pdf

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I recently purchased an Avid Speedwing Model C, Mark IV.  I've been putting together a kneeboard checklist that consolidates my inspections, airspeeds, and limits.  

My data has derived from the Avid Owners Manual, the Avid Builders Manual, and the Rotax Operators Manual.

Hoping some of you experienced Avid Flyers could review the attached checklist and provide detailed feedback on any corrections, recommendations, or issues you see with my data.

"CLOCKWISE ROTATION" on 582 ?  Thought those were LEFT turning from Pilot's seat view?  CCW?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hello,

"CLOCKWISE ROTATION" on 582 ?  Thought those were LEFT turning from Pilot's seat view?  CCW?  EDMO

Yep,  Typo.  Thanks EDMO.

Posted (edited)

I was impressed with the panel on this plane when I saw it for sale. Great job on the kneeboard. I commend you for taking the time to learn the aircraft and how to operate it. I think as you gain experience you'll find that all of this will become second nature. The biggest error I caught was your fuel mixture. It should read 50:1 and 2.6 oz's per gallon. Also for an all around planning number 5 gallons per hour works well and is on the conservative side. There's really no percentage numbers published on a 582. I like to cruise at 5800 rpm which yields right about 5 gph.

If you are new to the 582 my biggest piece of advice I give to guys is DO NOT descend under partial power like you would in a Lycoming. It's natural to crack the power as you start down. The 582's leanest circuit is the midrange and when you unload the prop by descending and pull the power into the leanest circuit you can create EGT's high enough to seize the motor. A 2 stroke wont sputter when it runs out of fuel it locks up!! Either do a chop and drop descent profile and watch you water temp or do a power on enroute descent.

Also I would reinforce your rudder pedals. Those chrome one were prone to breaking right where the vertical piece comes up from the horizontal tube. I believe Kitfox issued an AD to fix those and the MK4 Avid had a strap across that piece.

Congrats on a sweet AVID!!

Edited by C5Engineer
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Also I would reinforce your rudder pedals. Those chrome one were prone to breaking right where the vertical piece comes up from the horizontal tube. I believe Kitfox issued an AD to fix those and the MK4 Avid had a strap across that piece.

Added:  Doug Holly had his rudder cable tube break from the upright tube - when you reinforce the uprights I suggest you do the same strapping around the vertical tube to the cable tube.   The chromed parts were not the only ones breaking.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You can see the welded straps in this pic.

10A1C76D-2A7E-4FE0-9FA7-9AF8DBA99B43.jpeg

Posted (edited)

You either have a model C or a D (mark 4).  The C has a slight starboard incidence on the fin to compensate for the left-turning prop's P-factor, which puts the thrust center to port on taildraggers when moving forward on the ground or when flying at high AOA.  The mark 4 does not, and has elevator trim, as well as an external baggage door.  There are many other differences, although small.  

Edited by Turbo

Posted

Hello,

That probably is in the Rotax manual since none of those motors come with a gearbox. The gearbox output is opposite the engine direction. Challenger airplanes have used belt reductions for years with the Rotax engines and Quicksilver airplanes also.