Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Radiator Shuters

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Glad were back up and running now I can ask you guys more questions.I have a radiator that mounts underneath the fuselage on my Skyraider build.A guy told me that I should put shutters on it for winter flying and to prevent cold seizures.What do you guys think?I have only had experiences with Lycomings and Continentals and shock cooling is rare with them if you use a little common sense.I have read if you keep the RPM,s up on final and keep the water circulating you should be ok. My motor is the grayhead so it is more prone to seizures than the new blue head.

Thanks Randy

Posted

A friend of mine built a flap, on a piano hinge that covers 3/4 of his radiator, hooked to a push-pull cable to the cockpit. He uses this to help regulate engine temp on his 912 powered Kitfox. Something like this may help you. I put duct tape across 2/3 of my radiator in the winter to help increase temperatures, then regulate by running the cabin heater.

Posted

A friend of mine built a flap, on a piano hinge that covers 3/4 of his radiator, hooked to a push-pull cable to the cockpit. He uses this to help regulate engine temp on his 912 powered Kitfox. Something like this may help you. I put duct tape across 2/3 of my radiator in the winter to help increase temperatures, then regulate by running the cabin heater.

My brother did the same thing on his KF II as your buddy did. On my Avid, I just run a strip or two of aluminum tape onthe radiator in the winter to keep the temps up at 160. I have not had any issues yet (knock knock) but I am rarely at a high enough altitude that shock cooling could become an issue. if I need to come down fast, I keep power on and pull the nose up not down. This keeps her making heat, wont let it lean out and I can fall out of the sky without rapid cooling.

:BC: