Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flight Testing video of my MKIV

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I have 1.4 hours on the new bird now. I did some HD video yesterday of the tail to see what the the elevator was doing and how the TW looked on landing. I'm going to have to cut the TW spring down some it's way too tall and it makes it almost impossible to land below 50 mph without smacking TW first. From the little data I have this airplane is almost 20 mph faster in cruise than my B model with 27's. The roll rate is amazing and it's a night and day difference in the stability of the Yaw axis. It flies hands off rock solid at 60mph turning 4600 rpm. My B model won't hold altitude at that power setting. Stalls are straight ahead but with a noticeable shudder and break more like a Cessna. I have not confirmed it yet but I'm fairly certain it's stalling slower than my B model STOL wing. Cockpit is much roomier as well. All systems are working well with the exception of the airspeed indicator. I suspected a blockage after my first flight and confirmed it yesterday after some basic troubleshooting. I put 20 psi of compressed air onto the line from the cockpit going out to the pitot and managed to blow the fitting apart inside the wing. Lesson learned... go overboard on inspection plate locations when covering. I get to install one now in a place where I never thought I'd need one. Spinner is still off until I get done tweaking the warp drive prop.

image1.jpeg

9 people like this

Posted

what makes the roll rate way better on this one?

Posted

what makes the roll rate way better on this one?

Factory built extended speed wing! 30 ft span built to HH specs with the flat bottom ribs.

Posted

What engine are you running now?

Posted

582 Grey Head 3:1 C Box 70” 3 bladed Warp tapered tip prop

Posted

582 Grey Head 3:1 C Box 70” 3 bladed Warp tapered tip prop

That's the same setup I have Joey.

Posted

Great pirep Joey, not many flying with feedback but I'm feeling even better about my decision to use that wing on my A+ too.

1 person likes this

Posted

I had the tail first issue on my MK IV as well and that is one of the reasons I went with the taller gear.  It also increases the takeoff roll besides the tail first issue.  Shorter tail spring increases the risk of the tail wheel hitting and bending the rudder on a slightly harder than normal landing, one guess as to how I found that out.

Nice to see that you got it flying, looks good.  You will like the 912 when you get around to installing it.

Posted

Interesting that with regards to yaw axis you say it flies straight hands off.....yes yes I know your feet are not hands but I assume you mean feet off as well?  I find it interesting as you don't appear to have a rudder trim tab.

My MkIV has a rudder trim tab that is almost 90 degrees bent over!!  and still requires a bit of boot to fly straight.

Posted

Joey,

Are you going to switch to Ivo IFA prop on this one like your other?

Posted

No it’s not that impressive on a 582. I’m going back to Warp on my other one too.