Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

flapperon foam repair.

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm rebuilding a KF III that has sat for about 8 yrs. The trailing edge of the flapperons had separated (builder didn't rivet them) and the foam ribs came ungluded. I reglued (hysol) the ribs and TE but I can still feel an area where the skin is not attached to the rib. My thought is to drill a small hole and inject hysol into the area with a sytenge and then pop rivet the hole. Is there a better way to do this ? Also is there foam forward of the torque tube in the flapperon or just the rear ribs ? All and all I don't feel to warm and fuzzy about the flapperons, they feel pretty floppy but I've never had any experience with any not attached to the wing before. any thoughts ?

thanks,

Skip

Posted

I'm rebuilding a KF III that has sat for about 8 yrs. The trailing edge of the flapperons had separated (builder didn't rivet them) and the foam ribs came ungluded. I reglued (hysol) the ribs and TE but I can still feel an area where the skin is not attached to the rib. My thought is to drill a small hole and inject hysol into the area with a sytenge and then pop rivet the hole. Is there a better way to do this ? Also is there foam forward of the torque tube in the flapperon or just the rear ribs ? All and all I don't feel to warm and fuzzy about the flapperons, they feel pretty floppy but I've never had any experience with any not attached to the wing before. any thoughts ?

thanks,

Skip

Morning Skip,

Sounds like a pretty good plan on the small hole and injecting glue. The flaperons on my avid do have foam forward of the Tq. tube. The flaperons are really floperons when they are not bolted to the wings. I was certain mine were broken and that I needed new ones till I pulled a set off a buddies and his were just as floppy, yet the plane was flying fine. I finaly just convinces myself that it was going to be OK and put them on my lane as is. Once bolted on they are solid.

:BC:

Posted

On my KF III I repaired the inboard flapperon ribs using JB weld and microballoons. It had set up for years and a fuel leak had melted the inboard ribs. Cleaning the area 1st was the real chore. I applied some JB weld to "wet" the area and then mixed up some with microballoons to the consistancy of firm dough to replace the ribs. It has held up well. I suppose Hysol would have worked as well.

Also, there is also an old KF service letter about adding some small stainless steel pop rivets to help secure the skins to the actuator tube.

FWIW,

Mark Napier

Morning Skip,

Sounds like a pretty good plan on the small hole and injecting glue. The flaperons on my avid do have foam forward of the Tq. tube. The flaperons are really floperons when they are not bolted to the wings. I was certain mine were broken and that I needed new ones till I pulled a set off a buddies and his were just as floppy, yet the plane was flying fine. I finaly just convinces myself that it was going to be OK and put them on my lane as is. Once bolted on they are solid.

:BC: