New fuel tanks

8 posts in this topic

Posted

The kit I bought came with new tanks, supposed to be  ethanol safe. Same amber color as fiberglass, but doesn't seem to have the cloth texture, very smooth.  I've decided to go ahead and put them in now. My question is what adhesive is used to glue them to the aluminum spars?  It's a pretty gappy fit, would take a lot of expensive epoxy. I read through some posts on this site and saw one or two mentions of silicone. Is that a good choice? What type of silicone?

Posted (edited)

Kitfox manuals say to use GE Silicone II - That's what I used.  Maybe III is out now?  Kitfox 1 manual gives option to wrap spars first in Saran Wrap if you think you ever might want to remove tank - None of the other Kitfox manuals have that statement in them.  Just buy a tube at Lowes or local Hardware and apply it thickly like a crooked snake with a caulking gun on the tank where it will sit against the spars, and drop the tank into place.  I put some in the space where the tank bottom meets the rear spar, but not necessary.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

The kit I bought came with new tanks, supposed to be  ethanol safe. Same amber color as fiberglass, but doesn't seem to have the cloth texture, very smooth.  I've decided to go ahead and put them in now. My question is what adhesive is used to glue them to the aluminum spars?  It's a pretty gappy fit, would take a lot of expensive epoxy. I read through some posts on this site and saw one or two mentions of silicone. Is that a good choice? What type of silicone?

100_0830.JPG

100_0831.JPG

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I believe someone said to use safety wire as a cutter if you ever want to cut them out of the spars?   Sounds like lots of sawing?   I used a long box-knife blade.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the help. Really appreciated.

Posted

Hey Ed, where can I see that page of the Kitfox manual? I'm getting ready to glue the new tanks in now, and would like to have a reference to show.

Posted

Hey Ed, where can I see that page of the Kitfox manual? I'm getting ready to glue the new tanks in now, and would like to have a reference to show.

Attaching it here - This is old Kitfox 4 manual - It is possible that the "739" that TJay showed above may be used now? - anyway, this is what I have.  EDMO

Scan0481.jpg

Posted

Thanks a lot. i hope to be covering in May