Have a Matco TW and not happy how it releases?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I did this mod to my B model years ago too. Matco sells a different design arm that releases at 25 degrees instead of 40. I installed them on my MK4 tonight and it releases much easier now. Cheap and easy way to improve ground handling!!

http://www.matcomfg.com/WINGTAILWHEEL25DEGREEPLATED-idv-3507-44.html

EFD8DFD0-AC87-4B23-9E43-A555237B33AB.jpeg

Posted

I recently installed these on my Matco tail wheel. They work great turning left. But still nearly impossible getting it to release turning right. Still better than the 40 degree arms.

Posted

I recently installed these on my Matco tail wheel. They work great turning left. But still nearly impossible getting it to release turning right. Still better than the 40 degree arms.

on my B model I extended the arms on the Rudder 2” to fix this. 

Posted

Been thinking about extending the arms out and down. Cubs have that setup, less up down stain on the arms.

1 person likes this

Posted

Sorry, very happy with the standard Matco mechanism - releases only when I want and expect it to. Less happy with the solid wheel but replaced it with ome with pneumatic tire as detailed on another string, works great. 

Posted (edited)

Just curious are your chains tight?  I waltched a video recently that made a very good case for having just a little slack in the chains for the tail wheel to release properly.  Mine are just taunt and release ok but I plan on trying the slightly slack chains.  I will see if I can find the video and post the link.  Mine is the Matco 8" dual fork with the 25* arms.  Here is the link

this

Edited by wypaul
2 people like this

Posted

I'll add this... I run my matco tail wheel with compression springs as I think most people are doing. and like the above video run them loose enough to keep any binding from interfering with the unlocking mechanism. I am also running with a light tension spring in the mix. running it inside the compression spring to keep the unlocking mechanism under a constant spring tension that will ensure the wheel stays locked until I want it unlocked. This is not something matco specifies but after reading in their literature that the mechanism is designed to release with light spring tension.... as well as addressing the reality that without constant spring tension it can come unlocked.... the obvious answer is to do the dual spring setup to accommodate  the mechanism...On my last tail spring setup I got the compression springs for steering the tail wheel too tight and it won't release without some added horsing  

Posted

The Matco needs the chains to be tight to recenter properly. It won’t affect the way it releases like other set ups do.