Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Long time Lurker

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Guys...I have lurked on this forum for several years, especially if you include the 

Yahoo group. Most all of my needs of wisdom, on the subject of Avids and motors, are met with

a simple search...For that, I thank you. Now that I am retired...I spend a little more time on the internets :flag:

and maybe even " I " can contribute. 

I started my flying adventures in Alaska, in the late 70's...Went there after the Marines Corps.

Started flying Hang Gliders...bought an Ultralight (Eagle) off Mike Jacober in Anchorage (beginning of a long 2 stroke career)

Skip all that GA and bigger plane flying...

Have put around 800hrs on 2 strokes since then (without a failure) I might add...but with a lot of care, attention, 

and even intuition after awhile.

Returned to unpowered flight for 15 yrs or so (sailplanes and paragliders) ..Then, a couple plus years ago, I bought an Avid...

Mark 4, heavy hauler, stol wing, Ser. # 1349D. I just passed a hundred hours on this bird with it's 582. I have changed 

it from a trike to a tail dragger...added  21" tires, VG's ...built some skis for winter and added heat. Not near as nice

as some, but lotsa fun. Obviously, I have as much fun, working on it, as flying...John O

IMG_1560_LI.jpg

4 people like this

Posted

Looks nice!  I always like flying on skis.  Welcome to the group!  JImChuk

Posted

Awesome plane and sounds like you are very knowledgeable on 2-strokes. Thanks for coming out of the shadows and posting. 

Posted

Welcome, Nice plane, look forward to your input around here.

Posted (edited)

John,  I also was around Mike's shop at Birchwood many years ago.  I am sure you got a lot of 2-smoke knowledge from him.  My interest was in the planes, not the engines at that time.  He worked on my 532.  I am still a 4-stroker.   Welcome,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Nice bird and welcome to the dark side of the forums!  :lol: 

Sounds like we finally have enough snow at home that I can go to skis when I get back home and have some fun!  Mike was very knowledgeable on 2 strokes so if you have some of his wisdom to impart we will all love to hear it. 

Don't be shy with pics and stories!

:BC:

Posted

Welcome aboard, glad you stopped lurked and entered the fray. Post lots of pics or videos if you have it.

Posted

Thanks Guys, for the warm welcome.

I happen to have a bit of experience with 2 smokes (I like that one) only by necessity. The early days was taking 

a hang glider, throw on some wheels and a motor...and then,  you didn't have to climb the Mtn. to fly.  Now you are hooking

a 2 stroke onto a lot more complicated airplane than before. Early on...every moment the motor ran...was just a plus.

You knew first and foremost, that you were flying a glider...and flew accordingly. Now.. you are flying a pretty sophisticated  little

airplane, and (hoping) this 2 stroke is equally as sophisticated. I have had good luck with these motors, largely due to having

some sort of fuel control...everyone knows to watch the temps...but if you can't do anything about it... :o

Mike Jacober came up with a system that moved the needle (I believe) ...way back when. Now I use the Hac man system.

Just adding an amount of control...is great. I put larger jets in for winter flying...and the Hacman seems to take

care of any mid-range problems. Just for reference...I am at 500'  Use 170's in summer, 180's in winter...(582)

What I really love is all the new possibilities...Never before have we had 4 strokes to choose from that weren't $20k

I think the work being done on this RX-1 motor is exciting...It could very well be my first 4 stroker. I live in the snow belt.

AS the snow melts...these sleds will get cheaper:lmao:   kinda sounds like a project brewing..

Suppose to clear up in a couple of days....ready for some ski flying..

Just got a gopro...so going to try and make some footage to post...We'll see how that goes...John O

Posted

look forward to that.  love the videos