Rotory Valve Bleeding on Inverted engines

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Just a heads up for you guys. I changed my Rotory Valve hoses out last week. I used the reinforced kitcken sink water sprayer hose from the hardware store. This hose is stout and very hard to install on an engine that is already installed on the plane. It’s heavy walled and very hard to push on all the ends. If you do use this hose you will want to soften it with a hair dryer. I would probably use a thinner walled hose next time as there is not a lot of clearance between the top (inverted engine) connection and the engine mount with the heavier hose.  

I did my best to change out the hoses with as little oil lose as possible. I figured I would eliminate the need to bleed the system...WRONG! At the advice of Joey I tipped the plane up on its nose and let it set for 30 minuets. A check at 5 and 10 min showed no oil loss in the reservoir. I decided to leave it longer while I did some other maintenance. 20 mins later I checked again and the reservoir was completely empty. I was shocked. Apparently there was a huge air bubble in the system. I filled it slowly and let it set another 20 min. The level of oil stayed the same after the second filling. 

This would have cause major issue had I not took Joeys advice. It’s a simple task and one well worth the effort. Picture attached. 

66287745-B54D-4C76-887B-937EF89722E3.jpeg

C4D675E0-1741-4465-BFA5-FAB4CE7E2A0F.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

did you open up the bleed screw on the case when you installed the hoses :dunno:

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I know I've said it before, but will say it again.  If you fill at the top of the hose that goes to the lower oil fitting, the air will get pushed out as the oil level rises.  After the hoses are both full hook the hose back to the bottle, and fill the bottle.  You can still tip it up on it's nose, but probably wont get any oil out.  Especially important to get the air out on an inverted engine.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

No I didn’t open the bleed screw because I didn’t know there was one...lol. The thread I read didn’t mention one. 

I didn’t fill through the bottom fitting hose either. Guess I should have don’t more homework. Ok so I guess this thread should be titled “ How to bleed air from your Rotory Valve when you don’t follow directions”. 

1 person likes this

Posted

The only thing that matters is that you get all the air out.  Use the bleed screw, tip it on the nose, use a turkey baster filled with oil to force the oil through and blow out any trapped air etc.  I have done them all and each time I am apprehensive around the 15 minute mark as you will know by then if you got all the air out.  If you didn't, the engine gets silent and you start to learn new words that would make a new york hooker blush.

1 person likes this

Posted

download the rotax installation manual.  Page 13-2 will show you the vent plug and gives lots of good info on the installation etc of the 582.

1 person likes this

Posted

I use a small amount of vacuum with a mityvac on the reservoir to draw up any air as well.  Works great..

2 people like this

Posted

Just wondering, is there an established track record of using the kitchen sink sprayer hose in this application? Just wondering about compatibility issues, wouldn't want to see it break down, get hard, crack... Seems like it would be a good solution if compatible.

Posted

It was recommended my another Avid flyer. He has been using it on his plane for awhile.  

1 person likes this

Posted

I will say that it’s already hard. It might be harder to tell when it’s going to crack. 

1 person likes this