New Rotax 670 Install

116 posts in this topic

Posted

I unboxed my 670 today and started the install. I will use this thread to report 670 specific item for the group

Rod Davis, Rotax Rick zero time engine. Job looks great, high quality, neatly packed, all accessories and hardware. 

Mounting- standard Avid 582 brackets fit properly. Looks like it will slide in easily. Details to follow.

Weighed everything:

670 engine 89.5 lbs

Starter and housing plate 5.5 lb

Bing 54 carbs 4.0 lb (2carbs)

Dual air filter and clamps  1.0 lb

total 100.0 lbs

31695BB8-211C-4133-AF96-626B6A398B2D.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Are you going with oil injection or premixing.

Posted

Are you going with oil injection or premixing.

Ron Davis asks for pre-mix as a warrenty term, so I am pre-mixing at 40:1

Posted

I also changed to premixing, partly to insure I always had enough oil and partly weight and C.G.as the engine and exhaust system is heavier. Mike Hair is my neighbor and helped me build the 670. I then helped him with the build of a 720 (670 bored to accept Polaris pistons). I ran my 582 for 700 hours trouble free but was getting concerned about the high time. I also had a leaking oil injection check valve for the latter part of that and thought this is a way to eliminate this problem.

Dave

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Mike Hair did my exhaust. Nice guy.

How many hours do you have on the 670?

Edited by nlappos
1 person likes this

Posted

Not enough to know about, I get to many projects going. Hope to get back to it before to Long.

1 person likes this

Posted

Got the engine hung on the mounts. Used a Harbor Freight hydraulic table to lift it and roll it in. Next will tie up all connections and start fitting the muffler and exhaust (custom made by Mike Hair).

for the record, the old 582 thick aluminum saddle mount brackets fit perfectly. ”Rick” had trimmed the block in a few places so clearance was not a problem.

DB2D83F1-FDD4-4720-82EB-FF0DC0115FE0.jpeg

Posted

I wonder what hoops I would have to jump for a 670 in the UK.......

Posted (edited)

I wonder what hoops I would have to jump for a 670 in the UK.......

far to many or just don't tell them lol ( I don't recommend the last suggestion). You will have to fly at least 25 hours in it to get the approval once installed. 

You should speak to Fredstock on here as he has the  Simonini Victor 2 
Weight, size, engine mount as 532/582, 92 HP and seems to be working very well.

Edited by Richard Smith

Posted

The reality is I swapped my 350 hour 582 for the zero time 670 at $3550 price. To overhaul my 582 it would be $3000 at most shops, $2200 with Rick. So I reasoned that the 670 cost be $1350 more than my 582.

the Simonini Victor is $9550, and I bet it’s a fine engine.

Posted

Cost aside. The 670 has no approval in the UK.  Getting anything approved in the UK is a nightmare that itself is costly.

Posted

Hey GFRY, we fled europe because of the stupid EASA ......I as an AME could not sign off my own aircraft anymore, just another example of stupidity. Easa has tried to apply airline standards to General aviation...what a failure,  GA now is at a historic low.

It is my opinion that you should easily and without hassle be able to change engine on an experimental aircraft......that is why they're called that way is it not!!!!

My 1/2 cent

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey GFRY, we fled europe because of the stupid EASA ......I as an AME could not sign off my own aircraft anymore, just another example of stupidity. Easa has tried to apply airline standards to General aviation...what a failure,  GA now is at a historic low.

It is my opinion that you should easily and without hassle be able to change engine on an experimental aircraft......that is why they're called that way is it not!!!!

My 1/2 cent

Well we dont have experimental in the UK.  We have the LAA or BMAA, who are still both very stringent but still much easier to deal with than EASA.  Never the less, it is still a pain in the ass and expensive to get anything certified no matter which body certifies it.

And you are lucky to escape the UK.  I would leave tomorrow if I had the chance.  I spent several years living and working around Boston, Chicago and upstate New York.....and I really would go back tomorrow if I had the chance.  Of course there is the small mountain of convincing the Mrs that its a good idea.

2 people like this

Posted

My folks left England about 400 years ago - Maybe they couldn't get their Davinci glider certified there?  ;<)  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Trial fit of Mike Hair 670 muffler, looks good. I will have to cut back the cowl bottom, for sure. Mike is making a 135 deg elbow to replace the 90, which is shown here. I intend to hang the muffler off the firewall, using the existing circle clamps and some strong silicon rubber straps.

IMG_0144.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Nlappos, I am very interested in this engine swap you have going on. I have on many occasions thought about the 670 as the next engine for my Avid. For some reason I thought  I read on Rotax Rick's site that the 670 could only be mounted upright. I will be watching how this works for you. Please keep posting installation photos. 

The exhaust looks good. Is Mike selling these modified elbows? If so how much is he charging. 

I have access to a good 670 engine I've been going to grab for this purpose. At least I could use it as trading stock. 

Thanks again for the update.

Posted

North,

I'll keep posting here and also respond to any PM. The engine slipped right into the 582 mount, and only weighs about 10 lb more.

Yes, Rotax Rick (Ron Davis) pointed me to Mike Hair, who made the tuned exhaust. Mike charged me $250 plus shipping, which seemed very fair. I noted that the 90 degree elbow probably wants to be a 135, Mike is making that 135 now and will swap at no cost (good guy).

I have a fuel flow meter, and intend to take careful readings in Phase 1 and will post it all.

4 people like this

Posted

I also changed to premixing, partly to insure I always had enough oil and partly weight and C.G.as the engine and exhaust system is heavier. Mike Hair is my neighbor and helped me build the 670. I then helped him with the build of a 720 (670 bored to accept Polaris pistons). I ran my 582 for 700 hours trouble free but was getting concerned about the high time. I also had a leaking oil injection check valve for the latter part of that and thought this is a way to eliminate this problem.

Dave

Hi Dave, does your friend Mike have a thread on here? Any information on how the 720 is performing? It will be interesting to see the differences between his and yours. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I would like to hear about the 720 also.  Seems like it would be a beast! Is he running it and if so what’s the performance stats?

Posted

Installation essentially complete, here are some shots. I might fly this next week, lots of performance reports to come.

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted

Thank you for the update. Looking good. Can’t wait to hear a flying report.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Coming together and looking Good.  Looking forward to the flying report with Great results! ;)  Did you get your corrected exhaust elbow?

Posted

I too am curious how she will perform Getting exciting good luck.

Posted (edited)

Coming together and looking Good.  Looking forward to the flying report with Great results! ;)  Did you get your corrected exhaust elbow?

Thanks! Not yet, Andy. I will use the 90 degree until the 135 arrives, but I have held off installing the spring safeties to last thing. 

Edited by nlappos

Posted

Progress, finally (spent weeks and weeks on moving, retiring, traveling and such. Finally able to spend time on my MK IV)

Tasks performed in the last few months:

·         Removed Rotax 582 type 99, Hours 191.5 S/N 7626516,                                                                                                

·         Installed Rotax 670 BH18,  engine S/N 4087049, Hours: 0.0

·         Rigged Bing 54 Carbs, new, installed Hacman mixture control, installed 170 Main Jet for 6000 feet

·         Installed 2 EGT sensors into exhaust Y duct, Installed new Facet 2-4 psi fuel pump on left firewall, wired through master switch, separate 5 amp fuse

·         Removed Oil tank, capped off engine tank inlet, bombed off oil mixing input cable from throttle to rt side engine mountOIL MUST BE MIXED IN GAS, 40:1

·         Installed Mike Hair custom 670 exhaust with new reinforced silicone hangers and safety cable, safetied and RTV'd springs

·         Installed new Warp Drive 68" tapered 3-bladed prop with HTL hub, set initial pitch to 15 degrees, torqued all bolts, safetied with lock nuts on inner flange

·         Cut cowling to fit new muffler, reinforced lower edge for strength

·         Removed factory bungee landing gear. Installed Highwing LLC bush gear, rebuilt hubs, lubed bearings, inspected brakes, installed longer brake lines, filled and bled brake system with 5606, checked wheel alignment and angles

·         Removed and installed RT wing, replaced wingtip Whelen strobe/nav lightsm Replaced strut hdwr

·         Replaced Tail Wheel spring with new double spring

·         Installed inspection panel on tail to access TW attach bolt and TW structure

·         Installed new cabin fuel lines and filter fm wing to header tank., Drained fuel system, flushed tanks.

·         Installed new (used) altitude encoder for Xpdr

·         Leveled and weighed aircraft, new weight and CG statement prepared.

·         Completed annual Condition Inspection Items, ready for A&P inspection

·         New engine, landing gear and prop constitute major changes, and require entering Phase I flight test for 5 hours, will make appropriate log entries.

First ground runs yesterday and today, runs like a charm, smooth and sweet! Will report the performance and fuel consumption as I flight test it.

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG