Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nose ribs

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Just noticed that the nose ribs on my wings are about 1/8" taller than the other ribs. Do they have to be sanded down? Lot of sanding.

Posted (edited)

They should be same height as main ribs - guess someone didn't measure when gluing them in - it should fly OK that way, but shrinking fabric may possibly put enough pressure on them to bend or break them.   The easiest solution that I can think of is to glue some 1/8" thick capstrips on the tops of the main ribs to make everything even.  The nose ribs break very easily - just how do I know that?   I have mended lots of them!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Yeah, I've got 3 or 4 broken ones. Haven't got that far yet.

Posted

Was trying to figure out what you were talking about, I'm guessing you mean the false ribs? (the little ones between the big ones)  JImChuk

Posted

Yes. My assembly manual calls them nose ribs.

Posted

I had to remove all of my MK IV false ribs (both wings) due to the aluminum leading edge being a real mess. With a heat gun and patience, I was able to remove them all, clean up the spar and then put them back in place. A taut line from wing tip to root made placing them back at the correct height pretty straight forward. And then I replace the aluminum with a thin veneer of plywood.

Posted

Getting a length of 1" or 1.5" aluminum channel to lay across the ribs makes it really easy to clamp and glue the false ribs into place.

:BC:

2 people like this