Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wing parts

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Jim Raeder is looking for some wing parts, anybody out there can help them out? 

Posted

What is he lookin for? And is it for a KF or an Avid? 

Posted

I’ll message him.

Posted

He needs flaperons and fiberglass tips 

Posted

He needs flaperons and fiberglass tips 

Fiberglass tips for the flaperons or for the wing tips?

Posted

I am going to guess the wing tip.  Don't remember there being a fiberglass flaperon tip.

Posted

I not know who he is, i mayb can help is he lookin for KITFOX or Avid? Or is he to far from me to b interested? Hahahahaaa 

Posted

I am going to guess the wing tip.  Don't remember there being a fiberglass flaperon tip.

Avids didn't have FG tips - Is he wanting to use Kitfox tips on an Avid?  I've got a set of used droop tips.  EDMO

Posted

Avids didn't have FG tips - Is he wanting to use Kitfox tips on an Avid?  I've got a set of used droop tips.  EDMO

Ed all the Avid tips are fiberglass. 

1F5965E3-E628-4168-BACB-B1996240CD1B.jpeg

Posted (edited)

My Big One Joey - somehow totally forgot that there was FG under the fabric on Avids - I even owned a pair at one time and sold them!   Must have confused them with Pipers!  Thanks,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You know I wasn’t gonna let you get away with that one hahaha

Posted (edited)

You know I wasn’t gonna let you get away with that one hahaha

I think I must be related to Sgt. Schultz:  "I know Nuh-thing!"  Ha!  Sometimes I need someone to help bring me back to what I should know already!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Morning  

this must be the right place for this question,is any one flying avid with a flat plate( maybe 1/2 bigger but last rib shape )instead of wing tip. 

Thx rjg 

Posted

I have a set of wingtips with mount brackets but i think "fillmanw" is buyin all my Avid A parts, he did mention he didnt need the wings tho. 

"RJGerstnecker"

Im thinkin about doing that on my KitFox 1 im building instead of the heavy drooptips.  A good friend mentioned it b about 2" bigger than ur last wingrib.  But im not to the wing rebuild work yet. If u find out anything let us know and ill do same. 

Posted (edited)

I forget how long the droop tips are, but let's say 16" each, so you are losing 32" of wingspan which will decrease the amount of lift - there is also a drag factor involved.  A tip like the Hoerner tips, or an extension cut at an angle on the bottom, would be better than just a flat plate which does nothing for lift or shedding the vortex away from the top of the wing to reduce drag.  There have been wind tunnel tests to prove this.   If the flat plate was better, then the short-wing Pipers would have done that long ago instead of adding the expensive squared Hoerner type tips on their birds to get better performance.  See my post about their findings.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

If you know Avid wing tips, they are rounded and the trailing edge kind of turns up.  Really sucks for additional lift.  If you run one more rib with a flat plate on the end you will be better off than with the KF drooped tips.  I know that Steve Henry has done this on his planes with good results.  Well, it must do something good because he seems to keep doing it on subsequent rebuilds.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

If you know Avid wing tips, they are rounded and the trailing edge kind of turns up.  Really sucks for additional lift.  If you run one more rib with a flat plate on the end you will be better off than with the KF drooped tips.  I know that Steve Henry has done this on his planes with good results.  Well, it must do something good because he seems to keep doing it on subsequent rebuilds.

Extending spars and adding another rib with a flat plate 12 or 18" outboard keeps you from losing wing area, so it should be the same as adding squared tips, although the drag factor is maybe not as good for cruise speeds.  I think Steve is more interested in STOL performance than tip drag.   I agree,  the Piper-type Avid rounded tips are not good performers.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

yes, and if your trying to get more speed out of a KF or Avid and not thinking about STOL you need to change planes :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

yes, and if your trying to get more speed out of a KF or Avid and not thinking about STOL you need to change planes :lol:

No reason not to try for the best of both types of performance - Guess that's why Kitfox changed to the Riblett airfoil and gained cruise speeds while STOL remained the same.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I would be totally happy if someone kept good records of their Kitfox performance with either droop trips or the Hoerner tips, and then took them off and put flat plates on - then recorded the new performance.   I think it would be somewhat like shortening the full-length wings to make speed wings.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO