Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

evolution of the old avid Catalina

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Look at this new 2 seat floatplane from France......interesting design features...

3 people like this

Posted

About $400,000.

Posted

Icon is a scam, I think the SeaMax Amphib with folding wing option is the best bang for the buck now.

http://Www.seamaxaircraft.com

2 people like this

Posted

I absolutely agree about the Seamax being great. The only thing on my my avid catalina I prefer compared to the Seamax is the really big luggage compartment (or child seat). There is hardly any space in the Seamax.

Besides the cruise speed (90 vs 115 Mph) the Catalina and Seamax are nearly identical in performance. Obviously the folding wing Seamax is still WAY..to expensive (for me at least) at 150'000 USD (2012) a second hand one not below 95-125'000.....A nicely built Catalina with 912s will end up around 35-45'000  :) 

In my opinion the A5 is a hyped up rich man's heavy toy. The usefull load is small, empty/gross weight too high and rate of climb pathetic (a very well hidden secret number). Another secret is the relatively high stall speed at gross (45-52 Mph vs 37 Mph for Cat/Seam.)...Water take off at gross is crazy long...

1510Lbs gross for a 100Hp..........really not good weight to power ratio compared to Seamax and Catalina (15,1 vs 12 Lbs/Hp)

My1/2 cent

1 person likes this

Posted

Like the Flyer, the Catalina is a testament to a great Dean Wilson design.

1 person likes this

Posted

No offense to Joey who is hoping to work for them, I too think that Icom is nothing but a pyramid scam.

I believe the owners of that company belong in prison.

Posted

There is one more important item to consider when choosing an amphib....

The Catalina is easy to get out of water when a sandy beach is available (best place to be..).....not at all for the Icon nor the seamax. When you power up to get out the water on a high thrust line aircraft it gives a strong nose down moment...any nose wheel will dig into the sand and you'll be stuck. The Catalina with it's large low press tires and conventional gear is happy driving onto sand....

Posted

^ An excellent point, plus none with low wings or sponsons do well at the dock. That's why I went for Amphib floats on a high folding wing plane. Well, that and those other toy$ are well out of my zip code.

Posted

I have an early Avid Amphib unfinished if anyone is interested.

Posted

How much are you asking for your Catalina?