Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

BasicMED

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Have any of you been through the BasicMED process of the on-line course and visit to your GP/PCP (or similar)? I will be due this year. My wife avoided the whole thing and went back to our local AME. However that kinda defeats the purpose of what should be a benefit to the new system.

Wondering if there are any pitfalls to avoid. I have heard of some resistance from GP's wanting to sign that document indicating safe for flight.

Posted

I renewed my class 3 a couple months ago because I still can. I am seeing my doc for a routine visit this next week and intend to go thru the basic med process. If all goes well I will get basic med too and report back what the process was like. I figured it was lower risk to have a medical in hand b4 going for basic med just in case there is a glitch. If basic med goes well I will prolly not seek a class 3 any more.

Posted

I'm flying on BasicMed, so happy to be rid of the special issuance every year for sleep apnea!  No real issues, there was a doctor a mile from my house advertising basicmed exams (and DOT exams for truck drivers too).

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

I am a rebel.. I cant tell you when I had my last medical so I am going in Tuesday to get the 3rd class, after that I plan on going basicmed. 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

True about some balking at the certifying that no issues could ever cause an incident, I wouldn't sign it. But my GP didn't have a problem with it. I brought in the tentative version before it became law for his review. The next year I scheduled an eye exam two weeks before my physical, brought the FAA paperwork for the eye doc so he could specifically address the FAA points of concern. He documented same so their was no issue for the GP that is not prepared for eye exams. GP was glad. You do the online course after the physical.

Posted

I went BasicMED as soon as it was available last May.  I've had the same GP for 25 years and told him he had new powers now, which was the first he'd heard of it.  My 3rd class was expired for a couple of years since I didn't need it after trading my PA16 for a SkyRaider LSA, but I needed it back before I could start flying my Cozy last June. Timing was perfect for BasicMED coming on line for me.  The GP was cooperative, the process was easy, and my insurance covered the exam (whereas it would never cover the first class exam with an AME in the past).  Coincidentally I discovered in the hearing test portion that tinnitus had snuck up on me without me noticing but I'm very aware of it now.

Posted

I just went to my family DOC for a routine physical. While I was there I brought the Basic Med paperwork in. He had no problem whatsoever doing it and signed on the dotted line. I still have to do the on-line part of Basic med, but now I am set. it was painless and easy. And it lasts 4 years instead of two! Since I also just renewed my Class III medical, I figure i can be lazy about completing the on-line portion, but it feels really good to have done this. I will probably not be renewing my Class II medical now that I have completed the doctor portion of basic med and see how nicely it went.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I went BasicMED as soon as it was available last May.  I've had the same GP for 25 years and told him he had new powers now, which was the first he'd heard of it.  My 3rd class was expired for a couple of years since I didn't need it after trading my PA16 for a SkyRaider LSA, but I needed it back before I could start flying my Cozy last June. Timing was perfect for BasicMED coming on line for me.  The GP was cooperative, the process was easy, and my insurance covered the exam (whereas it would never cover the first class exam with an AME in the past).  Coincidentally I discovered in the hearing test portion that tinnitus had snuck up on me without me noticing but I'm very aware of it now.

How do they test for tinnitus?  I have had it most of my life, and lost some high and low tones in Radio work in Artillery unit in Army.  When I was a child, I had these "radio waves" going thru my head and was afraid to say anything because people might think I was going crazy, or something!  I had bad earaches until I was about 15.  I have had the sounds, on & off, most of my life - especially agitating when trying to go to sleep - I have them right now.  I worry about side effects from any possible drug treatments, since all drugs have side effects.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

How do they test for tinnitus?  I have had it most of my life, and lost some high and low tones in Radio work in Artillery unit in Army.  When I was a child, I had these "radio waves" going thru my head and was afraid to say anything because people might think I was going crazy, or something!  I had bad earaches until I was about 15.  I have had the sounds, on & off, most of my life - especially agitating when trying to go to sleep - I have them right now.  I worry about side effects from any possible drug treatments, since all drugs have side effects.  EDMO

The hearing test is a series of tones sent to one ear or the other of different frequencies and volumes, and you are asked to raise your left or right hand when you hear a tone in that ear.  My doctor didn't say I had tinnitus, he just said I had lost some hearing in a certain range of frequencies, something to monitor in the future.  But by doing the test I realized that with the headphones on and all sound blocked out, I had a light ringing in my ears that I hadn't noticed before, and it was difficult to hear tones in the range of the frequency of that ringing. 

Posted (edited)

The hearing test is a series of tones sent to one ear or the other of different frequencies and volumes, and you are asked to raise your left or right hand when you hear a tone in that ear.  My doctor didn't say I had tinnitus, he just said I had lost some hearing in a certain range of frequencies, something to monitor in the future.  But by doing the test I realized that with the headphones on and all sound blocked out, I had a light ringing in my ears that I hadn't noticed before, and it was difficult to hear tones in the range of the frequency of that ringing. 

Thanks for the info - I don't need headphones to hear the high-pitched sound in my ears - I had hearing tests in a booth when I retired and know that there are high and low frequencies I don't hear.  One is the door alarm on our fridge - I cant hear it at all, but wife and daughter tell me that it works - fortunately, they also put a light on the door that I can see.  I know most of the aids for hearing impaired since I raised two impaired children, one partially deaf and the other totally deaf until she got a cochlear implant.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this