Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Header Tanks!!!!

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I have installed two of these header tanks that Murle Williams builds. They have a float switch in them so the moment the level drops in the header tank, it turns a red light on mounted in the instrument panel. THis tells you that you have 1.9 gallons of fuel left so better think about finding a place to set down. This could be because of restriction in the fuel system or just plain ran out of fuel....Ill try to post some photos. THere are three fitting on the top of the tank, left tank, center is for vent to the left tank, and right tank fuel inlet.

The float switch is on the top left corner of the tank and turns a red LED on mounted on the panel.

THere is a quick drain on the bottom to drain the tank on preflight.DSCN1526.thumb.JPG.ba766a9fff91a98b7205eDSCN1526.thumb.JPG.ba766a9fff91a98b7205eDSCN1527.thumb.JPG.0257c0f122f178ccf1d61DSCN1529.thumb.JPG.17f7fe63923585e948306

Posted

I need to cover some of the holes in the dash. I ripped out a lot of useless instruments.....Ill have airspeed and G-5 Garmin, Aera660 GPS and the a few engine instruments, EGT, blue water temp you can see now, starts at 100(f) , a small fuel pressure gauge and thats it. Dont need all the other crap and weight. ROC and ALt are going as well. WIll keep the AS as last resort backup. THe switch between the red light and the blue water temp gauge is for my electric fuel pump, mainly to fill all the lines before start so I dont have to crank and crank...

Posted

Looks like you an I have the same panel.  That is pretty heavy with nothing in it.  I got a fiberglass panel for mine but have not made the swap yet.  I agree on pulling a lot of the instruments.  With the flight apps available on the phone and other light weight devices I want to strip mine down.  I bet I can pull 10# of useless crap off the panel.

:BC:

Posted

I already pulled out 12# of wires and relays and old guages that I dont need......you are right the panel is thick aluminum way too thick....so eventually Ill do somethign with that at well. This plane weighed 515# when I got it so dont want to add any more weight .....I like simple...

1 person likes this

Posted

I installed the very same setup.  Worked great and it did safe my bacon once.  Got distracted with some company during preflight (closed my tank valves after initially opening - cant recall why now).   Anyway, the light came on during run up.

The 2nd tank fitting, aft of the vent fitting, assuming sight glass?

Posted

yes its for sight glass, however I cleaned the end of the tank and sprayed clear gloss varathane and I can almost see thru the tank, can easily see the fuel level..