Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Remote control outlet

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Is there a remote outlet control I could put in my hanger outlet and turn it on with my phone to preheat my Champ while driving to the airport? 

Posted

There are some kits that you can build, you use a cell phone that you call that lights up when it's ringing, and that signals the unit to turn on the switch.  There are much more expensive ones that you can buy though.  Don't have any links right now though.  JImChuk

Posted

Do a search for GSM switch.  You can get them off amazon etc.

Posted (edited)

akflyer knows his stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/KiaoTime-GSM-AUTO-DC-US4G-Output-Control-Contact/dp/B01N5LGJLA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1519092278&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=GSM+4G+remote+switch

First user comment on the page: "Using it to turn on a heater in airplane hangar. Turns on and off immediately on phone call, and sends a confirming message within a few seconds that I have programmed to tell me that the heater has been turned on, or off. I was also able to program it so it will only react to phone numbers I have pre-authorized. I had to connect it to a relay that will switch the current required for the heater."

I swapped to a better listing, akflyer is right, must make sure the device is at least 3G, (the listed unit is 4G) because the cheaper 2G units are being dumped in the US for low prices, and the ATT cell network won't talk to them.

Edited by nlappos
1 person likes this

Posted

be careful where looking at these and make sure the network is supported in your area.  A lot of the really cheap ones are NOS that use a 2g network and most cell companies no longer support!  For around 100.00 you can get a newer one that uses 4G or LTE networks. 

:BC:

1 person likes this