Avid Nose Wheel Steering Push Pull Tube

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, 

On post flight I noticed the push pull tube on my nose wheel pedal control was bent.  Upon inspection the tie rod end snapped off in my hand.  

Looks like the part number is "CLG 20 push-pull tube for nose gear steering" out of my Avid original parts list.

The threaded portions are AN3 3/16" thread and the entire rod from eye to eye is about 8" with about 1.5" of adjustment in or out.

The AN3 threads are welded into the tie rod.

I was hoping this would be as easy as finding a tie rod with 3/16th AN3 threaded ends 6.5" length total and I could just pop the tie rod eye on the ends.

Looking for GOOD leads to acquire or fabricate this part.

(I'm aware I can search online.  I know of aircraft spruce. I have a local welder. I plan to email Avid)  :)

Looking for some good ideas or leads.

Steve

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 5.51.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 5.51.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 5.51.15 PM.png

IMG_8235.JPG

IMG_8236.JPG

IMG_8238.JPG

IMG_8239.JPG

Posted

When I was building the F7a I found some weld nuts to make the pushrods and then used some 10-32 long set screws to make those pushrods. I tried to find where I bought the weld nuts but I just don't recall. I do have a few of the long grade 8 set screws that I can send you if you find the weld nuts.   My guess is that the original tube that you have had cap screws welded onto the end of the tube before it was chromed. That wil make them prone to break and don't recommend that method.  Also there is a modified setup with better geometry that should be much better on the Yahoo Avid flier site in the files section there is a drawing and somewhere there is a more complete set of instructions for this mod but I am not sure where but someone on this site my have them. 

Posted

A couple of things strike me when looking at the pictures, one of which is that I can't believe the geometry of that push pull rod.  It seems to me that the ball end might have run out of swivel travel at the nose gear attachment end and that may have caused the tube to bow, breaking the threads of the An 490 threaded tube end.  I am suprised that the threads are 3/16 inch.  I would have thought them to be 1/4.

I cringe when I see flight control system parts that are chrome plated.  I know they look nice, but hopefully whoever did the chrome plating baked the parts to prevent hydrogen embrittlement.  Does the rudder pedal reinforcement addition apply to the nose wheel airplanes, too?

Posted

Avid90,

I agree with you.  I really don't like the setup of this use wheel push-pull tube but this is exactly how it was designed in the Avid Builder manual. Seems to me a double push pull rod with the connecting points set lower on the nose wheel tube would have been better.

Could you elaborate on the reinforced rudder for nose wheels?  Not sure I follow.  Steve

Posted

Hi Steve,

FWIW, I've attached the current KF nose gear install instructions and exploded parts diagram. Might be of help if you run across one for sale or decide to fabricate something similar.

Also, with respect, please reconsider big pics in your sig. They take up a LOT of thread space and having to scroll thru them on a mobile device every time you post is a PITA.

Cheers :BC:

Kitfox SS Nose Gear Install.pdf

Posted (edited)

Hi Steve,

FWIW, I've attached the current KF nose gear install instructions and exploded parts diagram. Might be of help if you run across one for sale or decide to fabricate something similar.

Also, with respect, please reconsider big pics in your sig. They take up a LOT of thread space and having to scroll thru them on a mobile device every time you post is a PITA.

Cheers :BC:

Kitfox SS Nose Gear Install.pdf

Doug,  I realize that you posted this for the nose gear drawings, but just for info:  The main gear attachment drawings are obsolete - Kitfox no longer uses that Rube Goldberg (Skystar) design for the mounts - They use two radius blocks on each side.  I don't know if the nose gear mounts have changed since then.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hi Steve, 

This thread is four threads down from yours:  exhaust "Y" too long??? also rudder pedal reinforcements?

A few owners have experienced cracking in the rudder pedal assembly.  I would think a wrap of 4130 down the rudder pedal tube, around the torque tube and back up the other side would be an alternative reinforcement, as he did with the tube that the rudder cable is attached to.

Posted

Here's a simple mod that solves this problem.

Avid steering mod.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Nice.  Hard to believe Avid felt ok with the original design.  This is a much better angle