Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MZ 202

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Was wondering if anyone uses the MZ 202 motor instead of the 582. I dont know much about them other than what I have read. They only have 60 HP but have more displacement. I already have my 582 for my Skyraider build but they have kind of caught my interest.Air cooled vs water cooled dont know if thats good or bad,factory is in B.C.Canada so dont know how parts would be to get.No oil injection so they may carbon up more.I should probably stick with what works but was curious. Thanks Randy

Posted

Was wondering if anyone uses the MZ 202 motor instead of the 582. I dont know much about them other than what I have read. They only have 60 HP but have more displacement. I already have my 582 for my Skyraider build but they have kind of caught my interest.Air cooled vs water cooled dont know if thats good or bad,factory is in B.C.Canada so dont know how parts would be to get.No oil injection so they may carbon up more.I should probably stick with what works but was curious. Thanks Randy

Hello, i've got the MZ 201, it is same as 202 but monocarb and free air. the engine is great but not very reliable, i never had a stop in the air, but many hours passed on the floor to tune and repair.

ex :

-the big starter wheel (the one bolted on crankshaft) had got quickly some freedom, because it is made in 3 parts with one aluminium, so the bolts of 3 part strated loosing at different times.

-the drive belt, explosed (lucky was on ground) this probably my fault causse it was 9 year old even if less than 13 hours of runnig, but i inspected before and saw nothing. May be it was the matter that started to cure, and friction made the job.

-the primer started to leak, but not outside, so it was unmetered fuel into the carburator, so tuning was impossible and bad vibrations under max rpm...

what next? this is why i say it is not very reliable, cause you can't trust it 100%. But it is light cheap engine and great performer when turning...

imho, none engine for ultralight is better than rotax.

Posted

Hello, i've got the MZ 201, it is same as 202 but monocarb and free air. the engine is great but not very reliable, i never had a stop in the air, but many hours passed on the floor to tune and repair.

ex :

-the big starter wheel (the one bolted on crankshaft) had got quickly some freedom, because it is made in 3 parts with one aluminium, so the bolts of 3 part strated loosing at different times.

-the drive belt, explosed (lucky was on ground) this probably my fault causse it was 9 year old even if less than 13 hours of runnig, but i inspected before and saw nothing. May be it was the matter that started to cure, and friction made the job.

-the primer started to leak, but not outside, so it was unmetered fuel into the carburator, so tuning was impossible and bad vibrations under max rpm...

what next? this is why i say it is not very reliable, cause you can't trust it 100%. But it is light cheap engine and great performer when turning...

imho, none engine for ultralight is better than rotax.

update one year later :

the primer was the origin of all troubles, now it runs perfectly, i made several flights with no issue and even in hot air with the free air pusher config.

so my judgement has changed and i'm thinking to put mz 202 in my C model.

the hard thing is to put 5000E on a poker table to be the lightest/simpliest avid mz202 tester... :angeldevil:

Posted

Thanks for updating us on the MZ engines. I've been thinking that when my Rotax goes (hopefully not in the air) that i'm going to replace it with the MZ202.

They are using them in the Mosquito helicopter and they must be reliable if a chopper is going to run that thing full throttle all day long.

post-263-13232722352705_thumb.jpg