Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lights

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Having a hard time finding the FAR requirements for lighting on planes of this type. Nav lights, strobe, etc. Anybody know where to look? 

Posted

From the EAA website:

ANTI-COLLISION LIGHTS

Am I required to have anti-collision lights on my homebuilt?

No, if you are only going to using your aircraft for day, VFR flight. FAR 91.205 lists the instrument and equipment requirements for standard category aircraft. This FAR does not apply to Experimental-Amateur Built aircraft.

If you intend to use your aircraft for either night VFR or IFR flight, you will have to comply with the requirements of FAR 91.205 because the operating limitations you receive as a part of your airworthiness certificate will include the following language:

“After completion of phase I flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with § 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only.”

From FAR 91.205:

(c)Visual flight rules (night). For VFR flight at night, the following instruments and equipment are required:

(1) Instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (b) of this section.

(2) Approved position lights.

(3) An approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system on all U.S.-registered civil aircraft. Anticollision light systems initially installed after August 11, 1971, on aircraft for which a type certificate was issued or applied for before August 11, 1971, must at least meet the anticollision light standards of part 23, 25, 27, or 29 of this chapter, as applicable, that were in effect on August 10, 1971, except that the color may be either aviation red or aviation white. In the event of failure of any light of the anticollision light system, operations with the aircraft may be continued to a stop where repairs or replacement can be made.

(4) If the aircraft is operated for hire, one electric landing light.

(5) An adequate source of electrical energy for all installed electrical and radio equipment.

(6) One spare set of fuses, or three spare fuses of each kind required, that are accessible to the pilot in flight.

Posted (edited)

Position Lights = FAR 23.1389,   Strobe Lights = FAR 91.205c.   Whelen also has a chart in Spruce Catalog that is easy to understand.  Other instruments are required for night flight for all airplanes.  I guess Alaska still has its own requirements for lights, which included daytime flights.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the answers. What kind of lights are other guys using on their Avid/Kitfoxes. Most of what i see at Spruce is big bucks and too large anyway.

Posted

Look in the classifieds, there is a guy (me) selling a complete Whelen set as supplied by Kitfox for quite a bit less than new. ;)