Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

"Club 3" is now open...

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Geez, first I gotta open Club FatAss (er, FatAvid), now I gotta open Club 3 too?

w00t!:bday:

[edit] reduce pic size

post-53-12751554346462_thumb.jpg

post-53-12751554478454_thumb.jpg

post-53-12751554609367_thumb.jpg

post-53-12751554725963_thumb.jpg

Edited by dholly

Posted

right on! so you flown her yet? You have 2 sets of floats now??

:BC:

Posted

Leni- not yet. Fellow had it on his private strip which was just under 1000' L x 30' W, on a steep slope with tall obstacles and sun in eyes on approach. Oh, and did I mention, I'm new to this taildragger stuff?

Me thinks a big ass farm field sounds good for the first go around. :P

I'm going to build the Avid+ as a land plane and put the KF on my amphib floats. The W&B reads 428 lbs on bungee gear so it should get off the water pretty quick with the Bluehead and C-box (both ~60 hr TT). Plane itself has 500.1 hobb hrs and was built in FL by an A&P, been living up north since 2001.

Posted (edited)

Well I would have to say the trip home went smooth. I think you were wise in your decision to by this bird. It looked and ran great when you picked it up. Hope you have many happy hours of flying in it. BTW everything came out OK with me today, (colonoscopy) brown_noser.gif

N844RS is ready for the AWC inspection , weight & bal., engine break-in, all went smooth. Russ. N844RS MK IV HH.

Edited by Russ.

Posted

Thanks for the help Russ! Lol, buying sure is quicker than building isn't it? Glad to hear your personal bi-annual inspection went ok too, hard to believe some rich folk voluntarily pay more for their trendy 'high colonic' therapy retreats than we did for our planes. :rolleyes:

Posted

Looking good, Doug! Did the trailer come with it?

Posted

Larry- nope, I extended the tongue and cobbled that together quick from an old double jetski trailer just to get the plane home. Eventually, I plan to make it into a float plane transport. It has the widest possible wheel track and two sets of adjustable bunks. After some modification, the Aerocets will just fit between the fenders with a float on new custom bunks.

Looks like I will need to design a nice dual purpose transport now. :)

Posted

Okay, it's settled then. You'll be flying that out to OSH this summer then, RIGHT?? :deadhorse:

We're all staying at the ultralight area. There's plenty of room for you. :sharedoobie:

Posted

Hey Doug, I just noticed your no longer a club fatbastard builder... did you change your status or did the site do it when you hit X amount of posts :lol: As the original fatbastage builder on htis site, you can have that title back should you want it :lmao:

I would bet you find that you will spend alot less time working on the fatbastard and alot more time flying the KF for awhile. When I first got my plane in the heap of shit it was in, I had it 99% restored in the first 3 or 4 months. Then my brother showed up with his KF from OK and I mothballed my project and put almost 300 Hrs. on his plane the first summer :lol: it was not until he sold his plane that I got back on my project... and it took me less than 2 weeks to have mine in the air.

Posted

@Larry- no plans for OSH yet. Seems every year I find a way to go but this year somehow the $$ just got a whole lot tighter. :P If I do make it, you know where I always camp and you can bet I'll wander on over to see how cold your beer is.

@Leni- I didn't even notice that. Site admin probably stripped me cause I've been slacking, lol. And I'm sure you're right, the Avid+ will be taking a backseat for a while while I get my flying fix. I'm very comfortable flying this M3 as is, but I still want to change the windscreen (crazed), fuel lines and fluids etc. first. I can't believe how light this thing is, will be updating W&B with the spring gear. Grove claims 24.3 lbs. on their website for the M3 gear so I bet it adds less than 9-10lbs net. Wasn't your bro John's KF a M3? Do you recall his empty weight on wheel gear?

Posted

@Larry- no plans for OSH yet. Seems every year I find a way to go but this year somehow the $ just got a whole lot tighter. :P If I do make it, you know where I always camp and you can bet I'll wander on over to see how cold your beer is.

@Leni- I didn't even notice that. Site admin probably stripped me cause I've been slacking, lol. And I'm sure you're right, the Avid+ will be taking a backseat for a while while I get my flying fix. I'm very comfortable flying this M3 as is, but I still want to change the windscreen (crazed), fuel lines and fluids etc. first. I can't believe how light this thing is, will be updating W&B with the spring gear. Grove claims 24.3 lbs. on their website for the M3 gear so I bet it adds less than 9-10lbs net. Wasn't your bro John's KF a M3? Do you recall his empty weight on wheel gear?

Nope, Johns was a mod II I think it was 465. I think it automatically changed your title when you hit the number of posts.. I will fix it back :lol: