Blue Ridge Community College

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello from Virginia! We're a small community college with an A&P program and a gentleman called a few weeks ago asking if we would be interested in an Avid Flyer. Honestly, my reaction wasn't exactly overly exuberant since storage is already at a premium with five aircraft tied out on the line and numerous fuselages, wings, and other large parts crammed in any available space. He went on to say the aircraft was complete and flying right up to the day his wife's grandfather pushed it into the downstairs family room approximately 17 years ago. That's nice, but still...then he said it came with a trailer and I was all ears!

We made plans to meet the next day to take a look at what he had and I have to say I was excited! I have been brainstorming with our public relations and other folks for ways to advertise our program and draw more young folks into the aviation field and this seemed to be the perfect platform! My plans are to paint it white with blue stripes and our college logo and then take it to high schools and aviation events in order to increase our presence.

Attached are a couple pictures that you may enjoy. Believe it or not, after sitting in a field outdoors for over 15 years all I had to do was put tires on the trailer and run new wires to the lights before loading the plane and bringing it back to the hangar. We washed it today and started making a list of items to replace. Although our intentions are to bring it up to airworthy standards, it will be used strictly as an instructional aid and never fly again. 

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2183.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Sad to hear that this bird will not fly again, but that could change with time.  Your advertisement tours to boost the Homebuilts and Aviation field is to be commended.  I'm sure that our members would like to see some photos when you repaint the Avid. 

Thank you for posting here.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Free the red plane!

That is not fair... you cannot do this to an old plane... Save it from years of imprisonment like that, take it to a airplane hangar and restore it - just to put it to eternal sleep again... You have created hope for this plane and you will now creating an irreparable deception... One day, when no one is around and the hangar door is left open, this plane will escape, take off and go play in the sky -  where it belong! 

3 people like this

Posted

Thank you, EDMO. I know how you feel about it not flying again, but she'll be more useful for the greater good as an instructional aid. In addition to our A&P program, we also hold a Light Sport Repairman course every summer and trying to line up an LSA for students to work on can be frustrating. Having our own aircraft to use for instruction takes a LOT of stress off me.

It would be nice to install our 912ULS for use in the Rotax Service/Maintenance courses we hold the week prior to LSARM classes, but if that happens it will be farther down the line.

While I'm here I should add a little more info about me and the plane:

- My name is Keith and I'm the instructional assistant for our AMT program. I did 28 years in Naval aviation, retired and said I never wanted to see another airplane for as long as I lived. Six years later I got my A&P and by shear luck ended up here doing a job I absolutely love!

- Avid Flyer C, SN 663, Rotax 582LC. The data plate SN for the engine has six digits, but my research thus far says it is supposed to be seven. Going to have to look into that.

- Not sure if a 3-bladed Warp Drive prop is considered a mod, but I was happy to find one installed! 

Posted

Free the red plane!

That is not fair... you cannot do this to an old plane... Save it from years of imprisonment like that, take it to a airplane hangar and restore it - just to put it to eternal sleep again... You have created hope for this plane and you will now creating an irreparable deception... One day, when no one is around and the hangar door is left open, this plane will escape, take off and go play in the sky -  where it belong! 

LOL! You posted while I was replying to EDMO. Now you have piled the guilt on me!;)

As sad a situation as it may seem to you, the donors were considering parting the plane out to eliminate future liability. She may not fly again, but at least she's not being torn to pieces.

Our other aircraft include a Piper Cherokee 260, Grumman Yankee, Cessna 310 (U-3B), King Air, a LongEZ (in parts), and two Cessna 172; one with a Continental (Thielart) diesel motor mounted and the other in rebuild.

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2265.JPG

Posted

Sorry it won't fly again, but I do have a suggestion for using it as a promotion.  I have the fabric off my Avid, getting ready to recover and repaint, but I'm slowly going through everything else while the covering is off.  We had an airshow in town 2 years ago (time flies....), and I took my uncovered Avid out as a static display for our EAA chapter.  It got a tremendous amount of interest, people were fascinated to see what the 'guts' of a plane looked like.  If I were you, I'd leave one wing, and the tail feathers uncovered, I think it will attract more attention.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

The Aviation Department at CWU here in Ellensburg borrowed my kitfox a couple times for display on Campus.  Of course I hauled it in on the trailer.  I unloaded it and pushed it onto the campus with the wings folded then spread the wings.  People kept asking how it got there.  I started saying, " Landed right here on the sidewalk."

You should do that too.:)

Posted

Sorry, I can't resist any better than some of the other guys here. A flying aircraft works just as well as a non-flying one for a static display, other than fluid containment. I also agree with what Mark is suggesting. If it IS to be permanently grounded, expose some structure and moving parts.

I will follow my previous comments with this: I absolutely applaud your efforts to bring new, especially young, people into aviation. I also trust that you know your business way better than I could ever pretend to know it!

Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures.

Posted

Free the red plane!

LOL! You posted while I was replying to EDMO. Now you have piled the guilt on me!;)

As sad a situation as it may seem to you, the donors were considering parting the plane out to eliminate future liability. She may not fly again, but at least she's not being torn to pieces.

Our other aircraft include a Piper Cherokee 260, Grumman Yankee, Cessna 310 (U-3B), King Air, a LongEZ (in parts), and two Cessna 172; one with a Continental (Thielart) diesel motor mounted and the other in rebuild.

Yes, but those are nose wheel aircraft, they are already looking at the ground... 
Free the red plane!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Sorry it won't fly again, but I do have a suggestion for using it as a promotion.  I have the fabric off my Avid, getting ready to recover and repaint, but I'm slowly going through everything else while the covering is off.  We had an airshow in town 2 years ago (time flies....), and I took my uncovered Avid out as a static display for our EAA chapter.  It got a tremendous amount of interest, people were fascinated to see what the 'guts' of a plane looked like.  If I were you, I'd leave one wing, and the tail feathers uncovered, I think it will attract more attention.

Mark

I second this good suggestion - show them how it is built - or at least parts of it.   Strip the fabric off of one side of the fuselage too, and maybe one side of the cowl.  EDMo

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The mixer behind the seat is a pretty impressive piece of engineering if you ask me.  Maybe a piece of plexi on the bottom behind the seat?

Posted

I like the suggestions that have been coming in. 

It has been a whirlwind week or two, but I managed to snag a little time and administer some TLC to the old girl. We took it down to the wash rack and gently brushed her delicate skin with some soft brushes and clean water. Brought her back to the hangar and proceeded to vacuum every nook and cranny and give a good look over. The sound insulation tacked to the firewall has totally turned to dust and necessitated several passes with the shop vac. Same with the engine cowl seals. Most of the fuel lines have hardened and shrunk, but we expected to replace them anyway. The family has located his build manuals and photos which I'm anxious to get and pore over.

3 people like this