Oshkosh 2018...Who’s going!

87 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Well after all the years I’ve dreamed of going to Oshkosh it’s finally happening. I’m stoked.  

I hear there are a few people going. I can’t give details yet because I’m waiting to hear back from a friend and make some solid flight plans. 

Looks like I will be flying Commercial into Green Bay on the 24th. 

Whos going? It would be neat to meet some of you there. 

:BC:

Edited by NorthIdahoAvidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

My wife and I will be there 10 days. We will be camping on the private farm across the road from the red barn by the Fun Fly Zone runway.

Posted

Wife and I are going for 3 days.  Not for sur which 3 yet. 

Posted

My plane was built in OSH.  I gotta get it back there someday.  But probably not this year.... :(

Too bad you aren't flying your plane over Vance.  My place would be right along the way!

Posted

Bandit, Kalhe76, let’s plan a meet up. I’ve never been so I’m not sure I’d there is a good place to meet up for a visit ,dinner, beer? 

Yamma-fox,  flying that trip is on the bucket list and it would be cool to stop by your place on the way. If you can try and make it out this year. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I will be there for 10 days also.  On Thursday (instead of Friday this year) we will be hosting our Fifth annual Kitfox/Avid party at our campsite.  

More details to follow as they are finalized.

Edited by Av8r3400
2 people like this

Posted

That’s great news. Can’t wait to meet up with you guys.  It will be a fun week. 

Posted (edited)

We are camped in the same area as Larry and his wife. Larry, Thursday sounds like a much better night for the party.

Edited by Bandit

Posted

Alright guys....!ive never been so I’m kinda behind the curve here. Joey asked me to go and I’m going whether he can make it or not.  I plan on tenting it. What do I need to do? Can I camp with you guys? Do I need to reserve a spot?

Posted (edited)

Also your talking to a West Coaster. What would you recommend I bring. What kind of clothing. Ect. 

Edited by NorthIdahoAvidflyer

Posted

We will be out Friday before the show. We can rope a area off for you if you want. I would bring shorts and light shirts along with pants long sleeve shirts and coats. Weather can be 100 degrees down to 50 degrees at night. Just depends on the weather pattern. Sunscreen for sure!

2 people like this

Posted

Please do. I’m bringing my Ultralight tent and sleeping bag / pillow. These bones don’t like sleeping ground anymore but for Oshkosh I’ll make an exception. :)  

If there is anything else you can think I need to bring shoot me a message. I’ll message you and Larry my cell number so we can keep in contact. 

How about places to charge a cell phone? 

Thanks Bandit. Much appreciated. 

Posted

HA! Newbie in da house this year, we'll save you a spot in the bat barn loft!

Joey will be a good pack guide for essentials but I would say comfortable shoes top the list. Even with the trams, you can walk miles every day trying to see it all. As mentioned, Wx can be a real crapshoot so you need to be prepared for hot, cold and wet. You will be tempted to bring a ton of stuff, and then you will wonder why the hell you schlubbed all that crap there and back again. That's OSH.

Don't sweat the little stuff. We've been doing this long enough we know many locals and can easily get whatever you need or want. I bring a little dirt bike to get around and into town with, but I also have free use of a local vehicle for big grocery/beer runs etc. Folks who drive in for the week usually bring some extra conveniences and comforts for those who cannot, i.e. coolers, chairs, canopies, gas grills, bikes etc. I am more than willing to share my camp, provided you contribute and clean up after yourself. I'm easy but I ain't yo' momma!

Best advice, download the EAA AirVenture app. It provides maps and daily workshop, presentations and airshow schedules. You can pick and choose items of interest and it will populate a daily calendar with times, locations, directions etc. to refer to. Very handy way to stay organized and use your time and energy efficiently. Don't forget your AN hardware and wish lists, lotsa main exhibit vendors and stuff in the FlyMart.

You will have a blast, see you there. :beerchug:

2 people like this

Posted

Bring a finite amount of cash.. 

Have your wife put a credit hold on your SSN and leave credit cards at home.

:)

2 people like this

Posted

HA! Newbie in da house this year, we'll save you a spot in the bat barn loft!

Joey will be a good pack guide for essentials but I would say comfortable shoes top the list. Even with the trams, you can walk miles every day trying to see it all. As mentioned, Wx can be a real crapshoot so you need to be prepared for hot, cold and wet. You will be tempted to bring a ton of stuff, and then you will wonder why the hell you schlubbed all that crap there and back again. That's OSH.

Don't sweat the little stuff. We've been doing this long enough we know many locals and can easily get whatever you need or want. I bring a little dirt bike to get around and into town with, but I also have free use of a local vehicle for big grocery/beer runs etc. Folks who drive in for the week usually bring some extra conveniences and comforts for those who cannot, i.e. coolers, chairs, canopies, gas grills, bikes etc. I am more than willing to share my camp, provided you contribute and clean up after yourself. I'm easy but I ain't yo' momma!

Best advice, download the EAA AirVenture app. It provides maps and daily workshop, presentations and airshow schedules. You can pick and choose items of interest and it will populate a daily calendar with times, locations, directions etc. to refer to. Very handy way to stay organized and use your time and energy efficiently. Don't forget your AN hardware and wish lists, lotsa main exhibit vendors and stuff in the FlyMart.

You will have a blast, see you there. :beerchug:

Thank you dholly, I appreciate you taking the Newbie in. So, will I need to purchase a camping pass? When you say bat barn loft does that mean you will have a place for me to sleep or will I need to bring my tent? Sorry, I might ask a lot of question until I figure out the group terminology. 

I have absolutely no problem helping and keeping up in camp. We are a camping family and I have to have a clean organized camp. A lot of it has to do with me not being at home and needing to stay busy and the fact that I'm anal about everything......it drives my wife nuts!!!

Sounds like you guys are set up. I will download the app and get my AN list ready! 

Thanks

Posted

I'll echo the good shoes.  My Samsung Gear watch told me I walked 15 miles one of the days at Oshkosh last year.  All the days there I walked at least 7 miles, and that was with a scooter to get me to the gate.

Mark

Posted

First and foremost:  Get the best shoes you can afford, then spend a little more.

You will put on an easy 25 miles walking in a just a couple of days.  

Posted

I am throwing my hat into the "I am going to try and make the pilgrimage this year" ring.

I plan to fly the Fat Avid there if all goes well.

This is my first time planning to go. Doesn't mean It will actually work out, but I am committed to trying my best to make it happen.

I have a reasonably good record of accomplishing things I set out to do.

3 people like this

Posted

Chris, there are several guys from WA, OR, CA, ID and NV doing the "low and slow" thing to OSH this year.  You may be able to hook up with them...

1 person likes this

Posted

I am throwing my hat into the "I am going to try and make the pilgrimage this year" ring.

I plan to fly the Fat Avid there if all goes well.

This is my first time planning to go. Doesn't mean It will actually work out, but I am committed to trying my best to make it happen.

I have a reasonably good record of accomplishing things I set out to do.

it would be super cool if you could make it Chris. I booked my flight this morning.  

Flying there in my own plane is on the bucket list too. 

Posted

Sure sounds like fun guys.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi guys 

my kids and I are going 3rd year in a row, would really like to meet and talk with you guys. We tent and stay on the grounds at camp scholler ride bicycles to the gate 

thx rjg 

Posted

I am in this year as well. Going with my neighbor in his 170. Planning on staying for the week and camping if someone could save us a spot that would be great!

Posted

I've been there once along time ago and saw tons of people camping under there wings. If a guy wanted to fly in there, What is that area called?

Posted

What are you flying?  There’s many areas, including the ultralight field, that allow underwing camping.