Oshkosh 2018...Who’s going!

87 posts in this topic

Posted

Vance - are you definitely arriving on the 24th with your buddy?

Dholly, we are flying commercial and should be to the Airshow by 4:00 pm on the 24th. 

Posted

So to verify:

1) It will be OK to use the UL approach with our Avids? 

2) and also camp there?

3) and not be looked down upon for landing and parking where we were not supposed to?

I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the official guidance document wrt my Avid.

Thanks! :-)

Chris

Posted

So to verify:

1) It will be OK to use the UL approach with our Avids? 

2) and also camp there?

3) and not be looked down upon for landing and parking where we were not supposed to?

I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the official guidance document wrt my Avid.

Thanks! :-)

Chris

First and foremost:  Get a copy of the NOTAM.  Link.   Read the entire thing, but especially understand page 19.

1). Yes your Avid is perfectly welcome at the Ultralight Field.

2). Yes you are perfectly welcome to camp under your wing in the Ultralight area.

3). You are supposed to be there.

What is "the official guidance document"?

This video shows the pattern to land to the Northwest:  Link

Posted

Is it ok to bring my buddy to the Avid Camp? He’s a good guy and has helped me with a lot of Airplane moving and hauling. He also lets me fly my Avid off of him private airport.  

Posted

To add to the above... just keep in mind that there are continuous operations at the UL field all day and into each evening for the entire week. UL field arrivals and departure time slots are limited, typically first thing in the a.m. and again early evening. Those time slots can be superceeded at anytime by show schedule changes, airport closure due to incidents etc. There is a UL field flight ops telephone # in the NOTAM you can check in with regarding field status for your arrival.

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks so much Larry and Doug! 

Chris

Posted

Thank you Doug for getting me lined out on the"Whats What" of Oshkosh. I have all the required items and will have that out to you soon. I greatly appreciate your help. 

:BC:

Posted

See you there, here's to good Wx! :BC:

Posted

I will heading up for 10 days. I wouldn't mind meeting some fellow builders too. We will be camping in Camp Scholler.

Posted

Doug 

Vance said you were setting aside a spot for him with the group. Would you be able to set aside another spot for us? We are leaving Idaho on the 19th or 20th weather dependent of course. We are going to park in vintage aircraft  camping near the UL field. 

Got my ticket today.  Whoo hoo

Thanks

Jamie

52D8D76D-F0BB-4C23-8018-CD8581C4863E.jpeg

Posted

Here are some details of our party.

Thursday afternoon starting at 4-ish my wife and I will host our 5th annual "Flapperon Party" at our campsite (EAA Chapter UL75).  Food and beverages will be provided.  After the party we all venture over to the STOL demo.  This is a change from previous years where we held it on Friday.  We (and everyone else) have too many schedule conflicts on Friday.

Campsite.thumb.jpg.d70630eca38837423139b

Should be a good turn out this year!  Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you guys...

3 people like this

Posted

Only 35 more hrs to fly off freeBird and I could hopefully join the party! Maybe Next year. Sure sounds like a good time.

Posted

My friend Ron and i are still planning to fly out. I'm getting a bit pinched in that I still have a lot to do before I am comfortable taking the Fat Avid but I am getting a lot closer!

Is anyone else from the PNW flying out? 

Posted

We are leaving from Sandpoint the 19th or 20th in a 170 that cruises around 115

Posted

I'll be arriving Sunday and leaving Saturday.  I'm driving my 5th wheel up (well, gooseneck now), and I'll be in Camp Scholler.  Splurged for an electric/water site this year.  The generators weren't a big deal, but the water tanks are too small, and hauling it was a royal pain.  Glamping, not Camping! :P

Posted

I'll be arriving Sunday and leaving Saturday.  I'm driving my 5th wheel up (well, gooseneck now), and I'll be in Camp Scholler.  Splurged for an electric/water site this year.  The generators weren't a big deal, but the water tanks are too small, and hauling it was a royal pain.  Glamping, not Camping! :P

Love the 115 gallons of fresh water and built in genny in my new rig.  Can boondock for 11 days at OSH no worries...

1 person likes this

Posted

Love the 115 gallons of fresh water and built in genny in my new rig.  Can boondock for 11 days at OSH no worries...

That works, as long as the gray tank is 115 gallons also!  Mine only has 50 gallons, and that gets me about 4 days.  The gray tank is 60 gallons, so then its haul the gray out, haul some fresh in.  Mine actually has two gray tanks, but one only has the kitchen sink draining into it, so it seldom gets full.  I figure I'll have to have the truck come pump mine out at least once during the week.

Mark

Posted

2- 85 g Grey and 1- 85 g black...

Posted

Doug 

Vance said you were setting aside a spot for him with the group. Would you be able to set aside another spot for us? We are leaving Idaho on the 19th or 20th weather dependent of course. We are going to park in vintage aircraft  camping near the UL field. 

Got my ticket today.  Whoo hoo

Thanks

Jamie- I PM'd you my phone #, give me a call. -Doug

1 person likes this

Posted

I finally got me Oshkosh schedule figured out. I will be at OSH from the 22 to the 24th driving in this year and camping in the chapter 237 area on 37th street.. Hopefully I will catch up with some of you in the UL area.

Posted (edited)

I installed a larger oil cooler in the fat Avid and my cooling issues are gone! So with the last major obstacle overcome, I will be trying for sure to fly to Oshkosh for my first time! I'm very excited.

Looks like we (my friend Ron in his Avid) and I will be taking off Friday AM from Tri Cities Wa. Original plan was to fly Friday Sat Sun and arrive Mon. We wanted the first day to at least get us over the divide and at least to the flat part of montana or maybe eve S. Dakota.That may be delayed a day as some friends are flying into Moose Creek Id Friday so we may stop there for a night and hang with them which would severely hamper the first day distance traveled. Moose Creek doesn't even get us across the continental divide. If we do the Moose Creek thing It will probably be more like Tuesday before we arrive at Osh, barring any other unforeseen issues.

Edited by Chris Bolkan
3 people like this

Posted

2- 85 g Grey and 1- 85 g black...

85 g black?? You must be more full of it than I am :lmao:

Pretty sweet, your are well set up for a week with two people (as long as one isn't a teenager.....)

Mark

Posted

Hey everyone, couple of goofy questions...

I have finalized the days that I will be able to attend, Tuesday and Thursday. I haven’t been to airventure in 20 years, since i was a teenager. Should i bring a notebook or ipad for notes at the classes? Can i bring in a backpack with waters and snacks? If i locate the kitfox booth, will i be able to sit in one? (I have never been in one, and would like to see how they feel) thanks for any info, and i look forward to meeting any of you this next week...mike

Posted

Yes yes and yes. bring your rain gear 

Posted

Ron and I made it to Oshkosh this morning. It is completely overwhelming. I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s amazing!

3 people like this