Powder coating

5 posts in this topic

Posted

The paint on my used control sticks was chipped and ugly. The Local EAA chapter has a powder coating set up (harbor freight) and a big homemade oven. I saw some parts the President did on his plane and decided to do my sticks with it instead of painting.  I cleaned them off with a wire brush and cleaned them with a non-lint rag and acetone. 

I watched a few videos on YouTube just to get an idea on how the process went. The President ended up being at the hangar and gave me some good tips. 

The gun was dirty and kept spitting big plums of powder out. I managed to get a pretty even coat on both parts. I baked then at 400 for 20 min. They turned out great. I like the finish and it is durable as hell. I had to remove a little of the coating where the sticks go into the aileron/rudder control and it was hard to get off with a wire wheel.  

Next...Landing gear.

EAE1BDE3-DCAE-489A-93A1-152AEDFD8BD8.jpeg

7B9D556F-DFD5-4245-A437-6D7EE8DA41ED.jpeg

image.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Well done, sir!

Posted

Looking good Vance...

Good idea with the landing gear as well. I will look into that around here.. for mine.

Posted

That's Awesome to hear!

I'm taking alot of my metal parts to be powder coated on Friday.  Was hoping for the Best but now I feel much better about it for sure.  Thought it would hold up good seeing they use it alot on well used parts.

Can't wait now.....:(

Posted

One disadvantage to powder coating is that it hides cracks until they are bigger. Agreed that it looks nice and is tough.