Which wheels/brakes to use?

19 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a set of Mark IV gear that I want to put on my plane. My plane has the older C gear. I have a set of 6 and 8 inch wheels and tires. I do want to add bigger tires after I get some time on a regular set up. What would you guys recommend? Pictures attached. 

A3C1FB15-9D6D-4C0C-A2A3-5B7DEC2ED7CB.jpeg

image.jpg

Posted

I like the Marco 6" with the 21" Aero Classic from Dresser.  If you by the tires else where you be getting seconds and aren't nearly round even though they appear to be the same tires. 

Posted

I have the 6" rims and the 21" Desser tires...which I really like,... but I have never had the option of an 8"...:wacko:

Posted

I am running the 21" Aero Classics also.

Posted

On 6 or 8 Bandit?

Posted

The Desser 21's are made for a 6" wheel. Most agree they hit the current sweet spot for size, quality/durability and value with the standard Avid/KF and Grove gear w/ 6" wheels. I put them on my KF4-1200 too. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted

On 6 or 8 Bandit?

6 "

Posted

On 6 or 8 Bandit?

6"

1 person likes this

Posted

If i was going to buy again for 6" rims i would buy the desser 21", course i bought smooth ones,  Here pic of mine without rims next to my 8.50-6" that i took off. 

But another thing to think about is which brake setup is best? On my other KitFox i think im going to run the 8" douglas wheels/brakes, cause i really like them 27" dessers. Hahhaaaaaaa

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted

Downside to the 8" Douglass wheels are the absolutely sub par Matco brakes that go with them.  

The only way to make them work acceptably would be to add a second caliper on each wheel.

Posted

Downside to the 8" Douglass wheels are the absolutely sub par Matco brakes that go with them.  

The only way to make them work acceptably would be to add a second caliper on each wheel.

I happen to have two sets of the calipers also. Is it possible to add the second set on too? I know I have seen double set ups before?

Posted

I happen to have two sets of the calipers also. Is it possible to add the second set on too? I know I have seen double set ups before?

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/530-go-kart-to-matco-brakes/&page=1

Hey Vance: I would suggest you read this thread to assist you in understanding what can be done and what to expect regarding the brakes you have and how they can be made to work within the limits/understandings of the physics that have been achieved.

1 person likes this

Posted

Saskavid, Thank you for the link. For some reason the pictures will not load. I will try them again on my home computer. My work computer sometimes block certain video and photos.

;) 

Posted

Do you guys prefer the shaved tires over the regular treaded tires? I see they add about $20 dollars to the price to cut the tread down. Seems kinda silly to pay more for less tread.

:blink:

Posted

I refused to pay more, get less...

I land totally off airport... and that thin line tread ...makes little difference.

Posted

They biggest downside I see is the 3/4" axles - Guess if you don't mind replacing bent axles, then they are OK.  I prefer 1.25 or 1.5" axles, especially for bush flying.  Matco makes an adapter plate for adding another set of calipers, or you can make your own plates.  EDMO

Posted

Well the story i always heard was the smooth tires dont pickup rocks and throw them thro the bottom of the wing and tail feather fabric.

They r also a bit lighter.

My 21" smooth Dessers with 6" clevlend wheels and the brake disc and caliper weigh in at 18.4lbs each.  

The 8" douglas wheels with 21" nanco tires, brake disc and caliper weigh in at 18.8lbs

1 person likes this

Posted

Absolutely true....The rock tossing is a problem in Alaska, no doubt. All you land on is rocks...  :P

Now I land on mostly grass...not a problem. I am with Ed on the axles...I would like to, at some point,

upgrade from these 3/4 inchers...

Posted

I've mentioned before that the 3/4" axles from Matco are great.  They are hollow so lighter and the darn things just don't bend.  Must be some kind of heat treatment in play with them.  Really, the fuselage will break and the axles will be straight. 

2 people like this