Oratex 6000 on a PA12

175 posts in this topic

Posted

Well had a few heavy rainy days and then was so wet that couldnt do much work with the equipment, so i did some work on the plane and took it outside to c how she looks in the daylight. Now to just put everything back together and then get some air under her wings!!!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 people like this

Posted

NIce...

Posted

That looks nice. How did you like working with Oratex? Considering re-covering my Magnum fuselage with it.

Posted

Well like ive mentioned b4.  I havent done any covering work (just patchwork) with any aircraft fabric b4 i did the Oratex,  but i tell u that oratex is AWESOME STUFF. Least far as i can comment on.  Its so easy and fast a kid could do it. Hahahaaaa i have two more to cover for myself and i tell u thats what ill b useing on them.  And not to mention i cut off a total of 10.7lbs off dads PA12 with the Oratex 6000, biggest thing to remember is when ur installing the oratex is u have to remember ur installing the final surface so u have to take care to do the best job u can and take ur time, and think ahead cause what u leave is what everyone will C when its done. 

Posted (edited)

I made a few films when covering my Avid with Oratex 600 (I used Oratex 6000 only for the landing gear).

Really great stuff! Just stay away from the pre-glued pinked edge bands (and make straight bands yourself) and be aware that the glue will get yellow some time after being heat activated - i.e. excess glue will show particularly on white...

There is more info on my blog, filter the posts on “Oratex”:

http://avidsimonini.blogspot.com

Edited by FredStork
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks guys! appreciate the feedback. My plane is white.

Posted (edited)

Not the best picture, but here are some stock MK IV rudder pedals.  JImChuk

PS  sorry, this ended up in the wrong spot...

Photo0612.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Well rain again some here so got to work on the 12 again. Got the tail feathers on yesturday hope to finish up the rest today and install the wings by this weekend. Not the best pic but still cool i say. Hahhaaaa

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Well wouldnt let me write anything, had to log out and back in, and start a new reply.

Anyways, Dad, Brother, Son and I installed the wings backon yesturday, and got about have the stuff hooked backup, we just about ready to final adjust the cables/rigging. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Whats dad think of the tow bar?  looks like it works great!

:BC:

Edited by akflyer

Posted

He loved it, works great to pull plane backwards and can use it to push the plane also but u really have to think ahead. Hahahaaaa got all the cables rigged and set yesturday, not far from a flight test.  Im guessing sometime this coming week

2 people like this

Posted

Well the test flight went good, dad is happy as a can b. Hahahaaaa cant wait for sometime off to enjoy a ride myself, think dad and my son goimg for a good ride later today. 

Not the best pic but still worth it.  She looks like a RC plane flying by the 245 excavator boom. Hahahaaa

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Very cool!!! Nothing like a project coming together!!!

Posted

U know it!!! Best feeling of all is when done and take a ride.  I better stop workin so hard so can make dad take me for a ride after all that work to make her beautiful 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well not a good day here at the mine, went up to check things and start loader to move some snow and found the worst thing a guy could find. 
In the 1,3,4 pic u can c the I beam that gave up at the weld dad did. Not the best weld for what it was used for   What a shame huh, ill post a few more pic when i start digging the plane and the 4 damaged of the 6 cars out. 

BE6AE318-912F-4D2C-B26E-A6ACA975FEB9.jpeg

5AB43A70-D719-410E-87BE-BF5351C2E94D.jpeg

AE7C4995-4D3C-4883-BA29-C45BB8DAB6DE.jpeg

CBA01D3C-F471-4CE2-AE49-9F7632381001.jpeg

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

That pretty much sucks! I have been there twice. One reason I now have a Kitfox, keep it at home in the barn. I feel for you!  Insurance or not it still hurts. I didn't have.

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh wow, that is a sad sight.  Sorry for you.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Yea pretty much ruined the day yesturday, and its doing a good job again today, cryed last half of the day yesturday, already cryed twice today about it and hard to not again as i write this. When u put so much work into something it sure becomes part of u, was so lookin forward to flying it this summer.  On the brighter side i may have found another fuselodge and a set of wings with extended flaps like she had (not sure if these r rebuildable) just will need some pa18 tail feathers, and a whole winter of work, but in the end ill do somemore modifications to it and Dad will have a brand new plane AGAIN. 

No Insurance on anything around here but our daily drivers. 

D85CAF27-0869-4BEF-A448-96633C01048A.jpeg

F9C6AE64-0A8D-4819-ABB2-3518EC281786.jpeg

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

Got to admire your attitude about it. Most would have thru up their hands and said "to *&%## with it". I almost did when it happened to me.

1 person likes this

Posted

I came close to crying for ya when you sent me the pics.  Wish you were closer, I would give you a hand in the rebuild and get Dad back in the air ASAP.  Of course, if we stay on this 4x4 schedule it would make it easy to do an extended trip up there and give a hand.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Oh Lord have mercy! I think I would bury my head in my hands and cry for days. I'm sure that represents a LOT of hours, $$$, memories etc. for you and your Dad. So friggin sad to see this, I hope your Dad isn't being too hard on himself about that beam. What else you gonna do now anyhow? Sure glad no one was hurt. You got a mess to clean up, that's for sure. >> Bucky Bus to the back burner for a bit. :-

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys, i cant give up that word is not really in my vocabulary, always fight to the end, may have more in it than its worth when she done again, but dont matter she not for sale never has been never will b. So guess when im 81 like dad is ill still b flying her.
 Its something eles i tell u how the aviation community is, how everyone sticks together, here in Fairbanks mine and Dads friends all helpin out with finding the parts that r found at moment, cant thank them guys enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they all want to help get it in the air again. THANKS!!!! 

Leni, ur making me cry again brother!!!! THANKS 

Edited by Buckchop
1 person likes this

Posted

Really sorry man that is hard to look at. Stay positive you'll get her all fixed back up.

Posted

That really is the pits Buck.