Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FIREWALL BLANKET???

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have never understood why thin metal was used for the firewalls, and then covered on the engine side with a blanket which ends up looking like it was dragged thru a grease and dirt pit until it rots.  I guess most builders took the easy way and used what the Kitmaker supplied.  IMO, I think a stainless firewall would be much better, safer, and easier to keep clean, and not cost much more - or maybe cheaper, considering the cost of the blanket.  If you want some sound-deadening material you could put it on the cabin side of the firewall.  Just my 2c worth of thinking - Your thoughts are welcome.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
3 people like this

Posted

Another Great idea that I was considering but on the fence about.  I was suprised when I got my kit how thin and cheap the firewall metal was.  I seen somewhere someone else had used stainless steel and thought about doing it but wasn't sure if that would have any other effect except add weight.  I think it would be much cleaner looking than that cheap sheet metal. 

I work with a Stainless Sheet Metal Co several times a week.  Guess I have to get the firewall to them now.

You have now made my decision.  Thanks for the push Ed! ;)

Cheers, Randy 

Posted (edited)

Another Great idea that I was considering but on the fence about.  I was suprised when I got my kit how thin and cheap the firewall metal was.  I seen somewhere someone else had used stainless steel and thought about doing it but wasn't sure if that would have any other effect except add weight.  I think it would be much cleaner looking than that cheap sheet metal. 

I work with a Stainless Sheet Metal Co several times a week.  Guess I have to get the firewall to them now.

You have now made my decision.  Thanks for the push Ed! ;)

Cheers, Randy 

Randy,  For certified factory planes, the FAA requires .016" thick stainless or .018" Galvanized.  Of course in an Experimental you don't have to do that, but if that is what they think is "fireproof", then that is what I would use - No need to use any thicker.  It might actually be lighter, considering the weight of the blanket.   Post some weight comparisons if you can.

I cant tell you which is easiest to work with - 302, 304, or 304 Half-Hard, seems to be the offerings in Spruce, if I remember right.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the info.  I was wondering what size would be best but would agree if thats what they use then that is good.  Never thought to look at Spruce to see what they offer.  

I'll check with my guy and see which type of stainless he recommends.  I'll post some pics and weight comparisons when I get it back.  Probably next week or so.  Need to go try to get some money from them anyways!  That's a Good Barter!   Randy 

Posted

I made my firewall from .016" stainless and put the insulation blanket on the inside of the cabin to keep it from being soaked with oil/gas and being more of a fire starter...

3 people like this

Posted

I bought my stainless steel for my Avid rebuild from online metals.  Been a while, but it was probably the best price available.  Worth checking out at any rate.  JImChuk

Posted

Av8r3400 - That is what I will be looking at is the 28 gauge .016" sheet.  Putting the blanket on the inside I think does make sense as you mentioned keeping it out of the elements of the engine compartment.  With that being said, I'm sure the intent with blanket on outside was to keep any radiant heat from a fire from passing through the metal firewall and into the frame and other components attached.  But a clean stainless firewall I think looks rather sharp and having blanket on inside should still bear some insulation benefit rather than burning up.  I have a Piper PA 22-20 project and it has the blanket on the inside of firewall (need to get rid of this project to make more room for new project).

1avidflyer - I appreciate the lead but I'm hoping to get it for Free (Probably Not) since I never charge the company a finance charge for the money they constantly owe me.........

Posted (edited)

I installed a stainless firewall and bought fire blanket at the aircraft store and installed on cockpit side.  Looks great.  I got the stainless sheet metal from a local sheet metal fab shop.

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted

I too bent up and installed a SS firewall. Flew around most of the late summer and fall with no blanket on either side of firewall. Ima gonna leave it as is for now. Looks great and has made securing things to the firewall clean and simple. 

if I decide down the road it is either too hot or too cold, I might install some insulation/carpet in the foot well area since the muffler is on the other side, but so far with the ceramic coated exhaust I have not found the heat a problem or excessive.

Posted

My B model has a blanket on the engine side and the top half of the cockpit side and my MK4 does not and so far the MK4 is most definitely louder than my other one. I plan to install one when I do my 912 swap. Dean Wilson is the one who did my original firewall on my B model after the Soob to 582 swap. He's a pure minimalist and the fact that he soaked up the weight to install one tells me something.

Posted

I will admit the inside of my fat avid is noisy, but with my headphones on it isn't. Everything gets really quiet once the little green light comes on. :-) 

I will also admit that when I have a passenger in the plane with a second headset in use, I have more nuisance squelch triggers that I did on either of my previous planes that had some sort of insulation on the firewall.