Some good fun!!!

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Finally getting to the fun stuff!  Did some Colorado Prairie work today...

Landing gear is great, but a consideration I did not think of when designing the dimensions, was the benefit of having the tires the same width apart as most trucks!  I'm just a little bit wider, so I'm off the trail on each side, but could be good for deep ruts...

I can't brag more highly on the functionality of the T3 Tailwheel suspension!!!  It is like riding in a hoopty!  No more chattering your teeth as your tailwheel grabs every bump...smooth as butter.

I'm still working on everything, it is all new...I landed and then had to taxi forever because I'm not used to landing in such a short distance.  I need some good grass field practice, but everything is dead here...come on Summer!!!

IMG_3248.thumb.JPG.151e74140222cb87982b3IMG_3249.thumb.JPG.354f8e99d4890e4bf7a83IMG_3250.thumb.JPG.a84d162623f43c104068cIMG_3251.thumb.JPG.e58f640ef63a9e97ed0ebIMG_3252.thumb.JPG.a8b78af007af0edb2ca98Blue Skies,

Ron

5 people like this

Posted

looks awesome. I think your Avid could get off the ground much faster with practice :)

1 person likes this

Posted

Flywise,

You aren’t kidding...my main trouble right now is with the brakes, rudder pedals, and my size twelves...I just need to get used to them.  I can easily fly the tail at about 1900rpm, but I start dragging tires at about that same point.  I need to make it out to a gathering at a grass strip and talk techniques with others and then try them out...

Ron

Posted

SaWeeeet ride.   Great Photos.  Thanks for sharing and please keep us all posted as you continue to test the limits.

Looking forward to future photos, videos and posts.  : )

Posted

hmmmm???  curious, what engine are you using?  What are the "boxes" sticking out on each side of the cowl?  I've never seen that before.

btw, GREAT looking bird.  Love the colour.

Posted

Brian,

Thanks...Lycoming I-O360, fuel injected, 200hp...The cylinders were too close to the cowling, so I made some extra room.

Ron

Posted

I would say that part of the issue you have on shorter take offs is the AOA that you have.  With that tall tailwheel set up you cant get the wing to fly sooner due to AOA.  so shorten up the tailwheel or extending the mains are going to be the two biggest critical factors in STOL performance.  Are you using full flaps for TO? 

:BC:

Posted

Leni,

You are spot on...before the VG install a 3 point Landing was a death wish because of the AOA causing the wingtips to stall right before touch down!  Yikes!!!  Much better now.

I was using half flaps on this one...I wasn’t really trying for a short takeoff here, I was working my ass off trying to keep it on the Jeep trail without being able to see over the nose!

What flap setting do you use when going for shortest distance?

I am just now experimenting with full flap settings...I listened to your advice about testing those settings out after you got the hang of things.

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

Wait, I just re-read that, are you saying increase the AOA?

Posted

yes, increase AOA.  The plane will get off the ground faster.  Full flaps and a 3 point take off is the shortest.  With 200 HP you should be off the ground in well under what your taking off at now.  Full flaps will pop you off the ground faster as well.  at 35 MPH I yank in full flaps and haul back on the stick and it will pop into the air..  Pretty much the same thing you do in a cub.  If your playing with full flap settings do it up high to begin with and get used to how the plane feels and how far back you need to pull the stick to keep the nose from pitching over when you do pull in full flap.  That way your ready to haul the stick back pretty much by muscle memory when you yank the flap handle.  Both pretty much have to be hauled back at the same time.  At altitude you can drive it around full flap and see what it has done to roll response and what you minimum controllable speed is.  I think you will be shocked at how high your nose is going to be while your driving it around at low speeds hanging on the prop.

Why would one do this??  well on the 2 track you were on it is not that big of a deal.  If your getting bounced around in big rocks, deep ruts or soft sand the name of the game is to get the plane in the air at pretty much the lowest speed possible to keep from beating the crap out of the airframe.  Get in the air then accelerate in ground effect and get the speed to make a comfy climb then away ya go.  The only way one is going to be OK getting the plane off the ground as slow as possible is when your at one with the plane and you know exactly what its going to do at those low speeds.  Hence you explore all that 2 mistakes high :lol:

This advice and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee these days but it will also get you to know your plane and learn to get max performance out of her.

3 people like this

Posted

Thanks Leni!  That is exactly what I was needing...I owe you $5 and a cup of coffee :BC:

Ron

1 person likes this

Posted

And most of all don't forget to have FUN!  if your getting nervous etc then knock it off and fly a bit then try it again.  Gotta keep the fun in flying and not just scaring yourself all the time :lol:

Posted

Leni,

Thank you soooo much for the advice.  I finally had an airstrip to myself and did about 10 short field landings and takeoffs using full flaps...man did it work much better.  I’m still working on the landings, getting slower and slower and increasing aoa, but it is something I’m easing into.

Take offs are improving greatly!  I have been just leaving full flaps in, I will soon incorporate the stick back flap handle up...

I found that if I push the stick full forward like a normal take off, and push full power in, as the plane speeds up and the tail becomes effective the stick naturally wants to come back to center then I keep pulling back slowly.  This gets the tires off the ground then I push over and use ground effect to accelerate.  I’m getting airborne in 100-200 feet.  I’m no where near max performance, but it is what I feel safe with right now.  I need more practice and of course gas money!  Lol!

I was using a 2900’ dirt strip.  I had a 5-10 knot direct crosswind.  My last 5 landings/full stop/take off were in the first 1300’ or less.  So much improved!

I’ll keep working on it though...

https://www.facebook.com/EAA808/videos/1579652455466083/

Thanks again for the ideas and advice!

Ron

1 person likes this

Posted

That is one good looking Magnum. Really makes me realize I need to double down on this Fat Avid project and start working to get my Magnum back in the air!

But I already am doubling down on the Fat Avid and it is still only going as fast as it is going :-)

Posted (edited)

Thanks Chris!

The downfall of a Bee schemed airplane is an absence of deniability.  Somebody called the cops on me, saying they thought an airplane was having trouble out in the desert.  When I got back to my home Airfield I got the tower asking me to call them!  Everything worked out, but a nice plain white airplane could be a benefit! 

I don’t even want to think about having two projects hanging over my head!!!  Ha!  Keep plugging away...

Ron

Edited by RDavidson
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks Chris!

The downfall of a Bee schemed airplane is an absence of deniability.  Somebody called the cops on me, saying they thought an airplane was having trouble out in the desert.  When I got back to my home Airfield I got the tower asking me to call them!  Everything worked out, but a nice plain white airplane could be a benefit! 

I don’t even want to think about having two projects hanging over my head!!!  Ha!  Keep plugging away...

Ron

I think Leni may have the right attitude if you want to remain under the radar - Paint it like 10,000 others!  To the public, they are all Piper Cubs!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO