Avid MK IV on Barnstormers (Hopefully going to be mine)

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Going to go look at this on Friday and hopefully bring home.  Would appreciate if anyone could point out anything that I should watch out for.

1x1.gif
AVID FLYER MK IV • $23,500 • FOR SALE BY OWNER  1994 Avid aircraft MK IV with a STOL wing, 832 TTA. Jabiru 2200, 80hp w/507 TTSN. Two 14 gal wing tanks. 11/17 condition inspection. Day and Night VFR. Light Sport qualified. Two props a Prince composite climb prop on it now and a wood cruse prop extra. Has lots of extra adds to the plane. Just like all Avids the wings fold for trailering and storage. No trailer but I do have a hitch setup to pull it slow and short distances. Asking $23,500. I have all logs. Started out life with a 582 rotax then in 1999 the Jabiru was installed. Aircraft located at 44TE. For more info just give me a call. • Contact Richard D. Wynn, Owner - located Kingsland, TX USA • Telephone: 575-390-9985 • Posted March 14, 2018  Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser  Recommend This Ad to a Friend  Email Advertiser  Save to Watchlist  Report This Ad  View Larger Pictures
1x1.gif

thumb.jpg?modified=1521048756thumb.jpg?modified=1521048840thumb.jpg?modified=1521048971thumb.jpg?modified=1521049073thumb.jpg?modified=1521049121
Edited by TSoftware
Better

Posted (edited)

Ask what the serial # of the engine is.  Before around 450 is not real good.  Early engines had cooling issues.  Early solid lifter engines were good.  From somewhere around 450 to about 1900.  Then they went to hydrolic lifters and had some issues with these engines.  Earliest engines had fewer fins on the head as well as aluminum rods.  Both were fixed on later engines.  I've put about 450 hrs on serial # 903.  Good engine so far.  It was made in 2001, so maybe yours is new enough to not be a real early one.  With these serial #, I'm talking about the 2200 CC engine.   JImChuk

PS  here is a link to the FAA registration on the plane if you haven't looked at it already.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?omni=Home-N-Number&nNumberTxt=220ap

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

What kind of climb rate did you get out of your Jab?

Posted

It's pretty close to the 582 that was in it before.  I'm at 1500' MSL, and would usually see 1000 fpm. or close to it on the VSI when solo.   Of course, a lot depends on the prop.  Cruise speeds are better with the Jabiru.  Everything else being equal, I think the 912 Rotax is a better engine, but when the Jabiru works, it's not to bad.  I would choose it before the 582.  JImChuk

Posted

Ended up not getting it...engine has an interesting history.

Posted

Do tell....JImChuk

Posted

Serial #22A-X01, Jabiru NA says they have no idea.  Believe that original serial number was around 165 and purchased in 1998, threw a crank after 9 hours.  Local source ended up sending the engine back to Australia where they upgraded many of the parts in the engine and assigned it the serial #X01.  Previous previous owner contacted manufacturer in Australia and they claim record fire and also no longer have a record.  He also indicated that he believes that the engine was only making 65 HP and when Australia  was contacted they seemed to think this was pretty good.  Additionally, no compression records before either 2007 or 2009, but since then, seems to have some sort of top issue about every 100 hours.  Other than that it seems to be a fairly nice well equipped plane, I just wasn't comfortable with the engine history.  I do have a line on a 2008 KitFox 7 that was never started....shall see where that goes.